Rear speakers 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rear speakers 156

Behind the rear headrests of the 156 there seems to be two places for some 6X9 inch speakers - is that right and if so does anyone know how to get into there to mount them ?

also - any advice on changing the factory fitted speakers in the doors - there doesnt seem to be anyway of taking the doors apart to get to them ??
Sponsored Links
AO Member
To access the rear speakers simply turn the grab screws on bulkhead underneath them. These are easily located inside the top of boot behind rear seat. There's some detail in the manual about it - with regard to changing bulbs on the brake light. Not sure about fitting speakers after that.

The speakers in the rear doors are easy. There are three clips at 3, 12 and 9 o'clock and a support at 6 o'clock.

Simply pop out the covers from the clips by putting a small screwdriver inside. The positioning piece then simply slots out. Behind these are screws holding in the speakers.

I actually took mine out to put some padding in to stop them - - - - - - yes, you guessed it - rattling!

The Speeding Ticket Hall of Fame.
Mike D

Fitting rear speakers in a 156 is not the easiest task I've ever attempted but the improved sound is worth the effort.

The genuine speaker covers are available as a part from AR. You may have to help the parts people in identifying it in the parts manual. Initially the parts dept told me I would need a whole new rear shelf but the car salesman I bought the car from knew the part number for the covers and ordered them for me. Not cheap though. All the other parts you'll need to attach the covers plus the mounting brackets for the rear shelf should also be available as parts but I did the hard way (DIY).

To install the speakers I removed the rear seat so I could get the real shelf out. After cutting the blanks out of the shelf I secured the covers with thin wire. The metal shelf behind the seat is not a solid sheet - it's only a frame with various holes for mounting thing like the centre seat belt etc. I made mounting panels for the speakers out of 12mm plywood and bolted them in place. Wiring wasn't a problem as there are plug for the speakers already in place. I simply plugged in my speakers and viola I had sound.

The whole job took me a week of spending a couple of hours every night after work so during that time the car was unusable (two car family = no problem). I'm very happy with the end result. Better than having the local car stereo shop do the job (rough as guts). But if you can't afford to have your car off the road Alfa could probably fit them for you using the "real" parts in less than a day. However, the total cost to me was covers, speakers, time and some skinned knuckles.

cheers guys - I think we all know what I shall be doing this weekend!!!!
AO Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Kendr:
I actually took mine out to put some padding in to stop them - - - - - - yes, you guessed it - rattling! </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Kendr

My LH rear speaker is rattling but it seems to be the cover not the speaker itself as it stops if I take the cover off.
As you seem to be a "padding expert" any suggestions?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

The sound should come only from the front of each passenger, the reason has been discussed before, i dont have the time to write it again since i m at work, a little search at older topics might help anyone who cares for realistic sound.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , rear , speakers