156 poor radio reception - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Keith S
Help 156 poor radio reception

My 156 was fitted with an aftermarket Sony CD/MP3 head unit by the previous owner. The radio reception is very poor I listen to Radio 4 a lot and it struggles to cling on to the station at the best of times. If I drive up country, it frequently loses the station altogether and doing a serach just sees the radio going up and down the tuning scale searching fruitlessly for a station to lock on to.

Two things: where is the aerial? I presume incorporated with the rear screen heater? Also, is there or should there be an aerial booster incorporated in the standard wiring? I seem to recall mention of this in the past, but cannot find a reference. Any help gratefully accepted. Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 156 poor radio reception

I had very poor reception on my first 156 Sportwagon.

Turned out there was not a metalic connection for the aerial plugged into the back of the radio. About a 1/2" gap allowed some signal through. Cured it by fiting a short length of copper wire after spending £150 first on another radio

Keith S
Re: 156 poor radio reception

OK, just been searching a little more successfully on the site and several people mention making sure the aerial booster amplifier gets power when using an aftermarket head unit. Suggestions usually revolve around using the electric aerial wire (blue or blue/white) from the radio to power the booster. Can anyone tell me which wire (colour?) in the ISO socket on the radio wiring loom is the one to connect it to?
County: Devon

Member car:

156 lusso 1.8ts

I think this is the same problem i`m having please someone help us?
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS

Yep, I've got the same problems with my 156 and new after sales head unit. Have fitted the correct aerial adapter but no am radio and poor FM in many places. It was bad with the standard head unit but even worse now!
County: Auckland

Member car:

Alfa 156

Poor AM reception after changing stereo head deck

Alfa 156 2000 twinspark year 2000. I had the same problem, virtually no AM reception after removing the factory Clarion head deck and replacing it with a Panasonic but I have solved the problem. Bear in mind this worked on my car and its at the respective owners risk to carry this out with no guarantees but anyway....

I was able to buy an aftermarket loom that connected to the Alfa loom and although it didn't perfectly match the radio it meant I could retain the Alfa's original terminal connectors

On the factory wiring loom on the white plug there is a Red/green wire. (The others on that plug are earth (black), then 12v constant battery power, 12v ignition feed when key is on, 12v when head lights are on to dim or power up display on the factory unit).

Check the red/green wire with a test light. This one should have no power at all, key on or off.

Connect the blue wire that is labled "Aerial" or "mast" or similar as per wiring diagram from the new stereo head deck wiring loom to the red/green wire on the Alfa loom. (Most aftermarket stereos appear to have this wire in blue to activate an electric aerial). Short of having the correct spade terminal to insert into the wiring block, it will require a simple piggy back type connecting terminal, that is the type where the wires a side by side and the terminal clamped on to them.

This then supplies power to what I have seen described in other replies as an AM booster that is standard on the car and you should now have crystal clear AM.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , poor , radio , reception