Numan - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #26 of 31 Old 23-10-02 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

I just had mine wink (dinner)
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
had some curry rice and some grapes for dessert
want some?

oh sorry...too late wink

AO Silver Member
grapes eh? thanks for sharing!
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Well, It wasn't that interresting, dinner that is. Just some pasta, turkey, and grapefruits with some hot salsa sauce.

But seriously. PCV is short for ; "Positive Crankcase Ventilation". Most often it comprises of a one way valve that emits surplus (oil) vapours from the crankcase. However the outlet is often fitted to the rocker cover. This one way valve relieves surplus pressure into the intake system. One thin hose is routed to the intake plenum, after the throttle butterfly valve, and the thicker hose is connected between the throttle body and the AFM (if fitted). The thing is, if the hoses were the same size the vacuum behind the butterfly valve will suck the PCV valve open, and thereby sucking oilvapours. Not a good thing, as this will cause excessive oilconsumption.

Many supercharged or tuned cars have a problem here, because the intake is sometimes pressurized, sometimes it's in a vacuum state. So most Tuners chose to install a small filter on the Breather hoses instead, and plug the connections.

Hope this helps, and I'm not talking MumbleJumble.

The only thing I can imagine that your engine modders would do is what some performance cam people recommend which is to fit tubes to the oil drain holes in the head therefore raising the oil level in the head itself. But this would only lubricate components by splash lubrication and definately would not help the variator as it is a sealed unit with no need for splash lubrication.
I dont know of a problem with variator oil supply, looked after engines dont usually have the problem.
As you say Numan variator wear is linked to one thing only - lack of oil and dirty oil.

However I think it's time that all car manufacturers sat down and agreed that cars need oil changes and cam belt changes more frequently. This means more reliable cars, more money for dealers which should be reflected in better customer service.

Unfortunately all car makers worry about is the projected life cost of cars in the eyes of fleet managers.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT