Wobbly suspension on Veloce model-Advise pls - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Wobbly suspension on Veloce model-Advise pls

wobbly suspension on veloce model-advise pls

I think i posted earlier on a different forum thread. so hadnt received any repsonse so far..

The car is just around 53k miles and its a 2004 Veloce model with really lowered suspension(look at my signature photo). But for some reason the car is wobbly(handling) and steering feels tight/hard on low speed(going out of my steering control sometimes on bad roads).

This is spoiling my whole driving experience. There are no knocks from the suspension though.

Can somebody tell me what should be checked?

I am considering - Aftermarket suspension kit like Streetline kit. BUT DO I NEED THIS AS I ALREADY HAVE A LOWERED VELOCE SUSPSENSION?

I do not want to spend a fortune on this during the current economic climate and so any budget recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Elegant...but do not provoke!

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Re: Wobbly suspension on Veloce model-Advise pls

I am no expert on lowered suspension, but hads your car got standard veloce dampers along with lowered springs or did you get a matching set of dampers and springs.

The Veloce dampers are barely up to the job of controlling the car on standard springs let alone stiffer lowered ones. Its quite possible that the dampers are simply not up to the job.

As for the heavy steering, when you lower a car, surely the suspension geometry changes and this can affect the steering weight and feel.

I am sure someone else is better clued up on this than me and should be able to help more.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall.
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Re: Wobbly suspension on Veloce model-Advise pls

Is the car on standard Veloce springs and shocks?

I also have a 2004 JTDm Veloce and replaced my suspension with Eibach Pro-kit (lower by 10mm front and 25mm rear) and Koni FSD shocks.

If you don't want to replace the springs, just changing the shocks will make a significant difference to the stock set-up.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

modeladvise , pls , suspension , veloce , wobbly