buying an alfa 147 need help plz :) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

alfa 147

buying an alfa 147 need help plz :)

Hi, im new to all this and currently own an astra 1.6 16v, boring lol! i am looking at an alfa 147 1.6 t-spark as im only 19 and cant afford 2.0 insurance. its a lusso with leather, digital climate control etc. It has 50,000 on it on an 02 plate. full service history, most alfa, and is having cambealt, variator, rollers etc dun with new bushes on gear linkages. I think its damn beautiful and have never owned an alfa before. The reputation for alfa is unrealiability, is this going? does it sound like a good car? and what things do i need to look for? ( i am also having the car inspected by an rac man) would appreciate help, thanks
Sponsored Links
County: Antrim

Member car:

147 1.6TS Lusso

Re: buying an alfa 147 need help plz :)

Hi matey,

I'm 22 and just passed my test about 4months ago thus i opted for the 1.6ts. Its a great little revvy engine but other that what you've mentioned i don't think there is much else mechanically to worry about. Mine is a 2001 and runs sweet as a nut and pulls like a train. The only problems i've had with mine have been electrical gremlins like airbag warning lights and other odds and sods!

Other than that its been great! Good luck and enjoy!
AO Member

Member car:

2001 147 1.6

Re: buying an alfa 147 need help plz :)

Sounds good,how much is it?

ive had mine for a couple of months now,and i love it so much! im 19 like yourself with the 1.6 model.

I would say if you after good fuel economy forget it because according to the computer i get an average of 28 mpg,it drinks oil as well but its worth every penny when i hear that glorius howl of the engine

My biggest complaint is the gearbox,gear change is rough unless you do it just right and give it plenty of revs dont know if its just my 147 or not but if i change into second for example it will make a clunk and jerk the car unless i engage the clutch just right.

Make sure you test drive it first,i had to have an engine swap because of a grinding noise when engaging clutch which turned out to be main bearing on the crankshaft or something,if id have payed more attention to it when test driving instead of messing with the air con i might have avoided it but it was replaced under warranty anyway.

Oh yeah while were at it test the air con works as well because mine doesn't which i failed to notice at the time and now i need to get it repaired.

Your back box may be a rust bucket like mine which is ready to fall off which is something you might want to consider.

Check no errors show up on the trip computer when starting the engine.

Thats all i can think of,Having an alfa romeo as someone on here said is cheap to buy expensive to run but always puts a smile on your face.And i really love my 147 to bits and i hope you do to.

Its truly a beautiful car inside and out,and turns heads more than most cars (or i may be imagining it )

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , buying , plz