Buying (2nd-hand) and Living with Alfa GT - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
From my point of view I haven't had the indicator problem and don't miss the rear wiper. Didn't have one on my 156 (i nkow you don't get them on saloons) and didn't miss it then.

My problem has been the clutch. Stiff, notchy, lumpy, now dry and grinding. I constantly have a bruised feeling on the sole of my foot. Booked in for forth round of warranty work, had everything replaced and it still doesn't work properly. Be sure you are happy with the clutch before you buy. Sit in traffic for a while and see how comfortable it is.
Part exchanged my GT for a Honda Civic, as I couldn't live with it any longer. Went for reliability over beauty (according to JD Power surey) 10 months of ownership, 20 days in the dealership, 3 clutches and loads of other stuff. Its ashame because I loved the car.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

Had my GT JTDm for 1 year, covered over 20k in that time. It still feels great every time I drive it.

Paid 7k for an 05 plate with a shade over 80k. Belt/waterpump done @63k and proof. OBviously cared for, although FSH had recently lapsed. Not too fussed about that.

I won't re-tread the niggles others have mentioned, but here's a few additions to the list. Bear in mind that none of this puts me off this great car.

* At time of purchase, I wanted 17" wheels. A good example came up with 16". I had originally planned to upgrade them, but the ride quality is so superb on 16" that I simply can't justify paying money and comfort for vanity.

* EGR valve WILL need attention at some point. Cleaning it is a messy job, and will likely lead to the discovery that the solenoid is dead or sticking. Be aware of the EGR valve symptoms, and how to change it. It's an easy job, and a replacement was only 60 taken from a sub-30k write-off. I cleaned that before installing. Only problem I have had to date.

* Insurance is savage, considering the performance. I can only assume that the risk group is pushed up by the type of driver a gorgeous coupe attracts.

* Suspension components are prone to wear. Check the advisories and factor in the work.

* Airbag warnings are common. It seems that loose connectors are the culprit. Don't panic if you get the warning, and don't pay out for a dealer. Chances are you disturbed it while hoovering out the car. Check this forum for threads on sorting it.

* Exhaust brackets seem to be a weak point. Mine needed some minor welding. Keep an eye on these.

* Headlamps -the electric adjusters units can exceed their intended travel and come off the end of the thread. It's a pain to fix, but can be done. Search for threads here. Oh, and changing the sidelight bulbs is harder than an aroused statue.

* Your significant other will want to borrow the car all the time. And who can blame them? Add them to your comprehensive insurance and ask them to get a clean and valet once in a while!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

some excellent points LiamGT, there's a few there i wasn't aware of.
AO Silver Member
County: Oxfordshire
6 weeks into GT ownership,so a few points from me

-If frugality is an issue,i'd go for the diesel,our JTS is on the thirsty side-

-road noise from the 18'' wheels is loud,but not overly so-

-boot rattles a bit,just turn the Bose up-

-get a good spec,ours came with Bose,heated leather,Connect Nav+,reverse sensors,18'' wheels,rain sensitive wipers.All this stuff didnt seem to make it any more expensive than most of the others we were looking at-

-MCSF warning very occasionally,seems it only comes on when the outside temp drops-

All in all i absolutely love it,it makes me smile every time i look at it.I swear i've never cleaned a car so much

It gets admiring comments everywhere i go.

1 regret - should have bought the V6
AO Member
County: Kent
[QUOTE=fredzedex;3456028]-If frugality is an issue,i'd go for the diesel,our JTS is on the thirsty side-road noise from the 18'' wheels is loud,but not overly so-
-boot rattles a bit,just turn the Bose up-
-get a good spec,ours came with Bose,heated leather,Connect Nav+,reverse sensors,18'' wheels,rain sensitive wipers.It gets admiring comments everywhere i go.

Well I've had my V6 for 3 months now and its a very nice place to be. Engine is almost too good it so effortless and doesn't really come into its own till 5000rpm.
18" are fine and no worse than 17"s. Bose and sensors essential, the rest I don't miss. Can't say I've had much in the way of comments from anyone other that friends - doesn't matter.
If you think the JTS is thirsty well you ain't seen nothin' - but no regrets.
My one irritation is the tendency to rattle with noises I can't find around the boot area. Latest one is a light buzz and drives me nuts.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

2ndhand , alfa , buying , living