Bose subwoofer problem - more info - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 14-10-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
Bose subwoofer problem - more info

I remembered a few threads a while back on people who have had Bose stereo problems. Some of these problems are: CD's skipping, ejecting, starting up the car and the CD player not working and the Bose sub woofer not powerering up until you increased the volume.

I had a good talk with the service manager today at my Alfa dealer. It seems there is a voltage problem with the 147. I showed him the Blapunkt pdf I downloaded a while back from this forum but he insisted it is not Blaupunkt that is in error. It's got to do with not enough voltage for powering everything in the car. And Alfa are working on a fix.

Business: GillespieFox Founding member: Australian INfront
Sponsored Links
AO Member
My Alfa dealer didn’t have the answer to the problem. frown
I had my cd player (I have Bose) replaced on warranty, because of random cd errors and cd's ejecting. After that I've had no problems. Mine also skipped a lot, but I figured this was because of the much harder ride with the Eibach springs, and so I didn't complain on that, but after they replaced it, it hasn't skipped one beat so far!
AO Member
BTW, my sound system BOSE goes OFF again for the 4th time!!!

When I turn ignition on the day after the system doesn’t turn ON!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Justin Fox:
<strong>. It's got to do with not enough voltage for powering everything in the car. </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not enough voltage?? BULLSHιT!. There is enough power to turn the starting motor.. no further comments on this..-

Possible reasons for problems mentioned:

CD skiping: Bad disk, low laser power (has to do with the laser head, not the car battery), bad laser driving mechanism, anti-vibration system malfunction.

Ejecting: Bad disk driving mechanism, disk reading error.

Sub not powered at low volumes: many sub-amplifiers have auto power option. It triggers from the input signal (which has to be over xx milivolts). This is normal bahaviour.

----In two words: CRAP STEREO ----

Ask your technical director, if you put a 150€ Sony head unit and a 150€ Sony Amplifier on the same 147, will there be voltage problems?????
Voltage problem my ass....

I ve got a 200Watt amp in my 147 and there are no electrical problems of any kind.

The only "voltage problem" appears on STRONG amplifiers, when you turn the volume too high and there is not enough power supply to drive the amplifier (using large capacitors bypass this problem). I dont think that the Bose amp is 300 or 400 Watt rms
The BOSE subwoofer problem is a known problem and Blaupunkt (who make the head unit) have issued a technical service sheet about how to fix it.

The problem is that the "loudness" function of the BOSE amplifier does not automatically switch itself on unless

a) the head unit is switched on with the tuner as the input source

or b) if the head unit is switched on with the CD or CD Changer as the source, the volume needs to be adjusted manually up or down by 2 or 3. This triggers the "loudness" function to switch on in the BOSE amp.

Until this "loudness" function of the BOSE amp is switched on the sound that comes from the speakers is probably the unispiring, unprocessed flat output from the head unit which does not sound like it cost £510.

What gets me about all this is the way that the BOSE literature insists that the system is so wonderful that it doesn't need a loudness function.

Anyway, even after explaining this and providing a copy of the printout from Blaupunkt, the Alfa dealership I took my 147 to still "did not understand the problem" and now I need to find the serial number from the head unit so they can contact Blaupunkt and arange for the replacement part.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bose , info , problem , subwoofer