166 Facelift - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Nicola Romeo

166 Facelift

Hey,
I have a picture of the 166 facelift if anyone wants to see it give us a shout, it would be really great if someone could put it up here too.

I will have to e.mail it to whoever

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

davor

Just give the URL, so we can click on it...

Nicola Romeo

There isn't a URL I have a picture here in my hand!!

Don't you think I would have done that in the first place if I could have?

AO Member

Member car:

159 2.2 SW

I'd be happy to put it up.

e-mail to: ragnarogrenate@chello.no
Nicola Romeo

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Sportswagoneer:
<strong>I'd be happy to put it up.

e-mail to: ragnarogrenate@chello.no</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks it's on its way now

AO Member

Member car:

159 2.2 SW

.. and here it is:

http://www.home.no/sportwagon/images/166.jpg

... really?
AO Gold Member

looks better than the old one
Nicola Romeo

Hope so I like it a lot, the picture was sent to me from an Alfa Romeo owners club member in the UK, I am a member too it will probably be in the next club magazine.
Not sure if Alfa Romeo are going to go ahead with it yet but I hope they do

John Fanthorpe

I Sincerely hope not !!

If that is to be a new '166' then I will not be in the market - it looks dreadful. Gone are those gorgeous, sleek, sexy, classy Italian Lines - replaced with a grill from some geezers old barbecue.

The current 166 is 'Classico' one on it's own, nothing else like it on the road - as I have said before 'A Class Act'.

The only people who decry the lines of the 166 seem to drive 147's & 156's.

Ivo
AO Gold Member

I just love the current 166, very classy sportsedan I say!

The picture shown here of the facelifted 166 is one that already is on the net for quite a while. Even before the 147 was intrdocued, I have seen this pic. It looks very much like a normal 166 with a PhotoShopped front that looks a bit like the 147
paul.o

Hate to think what the wind tunnel figures would produce?

AO Gold Member

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by John Fanthorpe:
<strong>I Sincerely hope not !!

If that is to be a new '166' then I will not be in the market - it looks dreadful. Gone are those gorgeous, sleek, sexy, classy Italian Lines - replaced with a grill from some geezers old barbecue.

The current 166 is 'Classico' one on it's own, nothing else like it on the road - as I have said before 'A Class Act'.

The only people who decry the lines of the 166 seem to drive 147's & 156's.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i was trying to add something to this but no...its bloody perfect!

the current 166 is one of the best-designed (if not the best) saloon in its market. look at the new e class or new 5 series (i thinks its still not launched?) ... boring lines...big headlights to get that civic-look!
but the 166 with its distinctive alfa grille, GREAT side profile, superb handling etc... its unbeatable

cheers

PS i HATE that "new 166" pic...plain stupid

!?
©
(This icon is a copyright of Banflu, Banflu Enterprises and Banflu DIY-Electronic Parking Systems).

www.aroc-malta.org
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

The badge and grill area looks like its been photoshopped, I hope this is a joke, its damn scarey!
BoloM

Have a look at italiaspeed.com, they propose all kind of face-lifted 166.

http://www.italiaspeed.com/news_2002_01_19.html

makaveli

Hi Bolo and welcome to the forum. All you'd need to do to the 166 with that proposed facelift is add a Jaguar or Rover badge! I don't understand the interest this causes in changing the front. So it doesn't quite work and to me that's part of the appeal it's Old skool Alfa quirkyness. Alfa's in general don't quite work that's one of the things that sets them apart from bland, boring euro saloons.

Surely it would be far better for Alfa to spend time and investment in improving the build quality still further and the handling system of the car into a class leading package rather than worry about the headlights. Also if they ran with the 3.0 Super alloys on every model in the range it would transform it, it's incredible how the wheels can make or break the aesthetics.

M.

AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

I love the current 166, but I definitely think that the headlights are too small for such a big car. This Photoshopped (Ivo?) picture looks very nice indeed......to me at least......
Rapallo

I agree the headlights are a bit squinty but none of the proposed facelifts look any better.

I agree Mak, the difference in looks on 17" compared to 16" is unbelieveable.

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

04 147 GTA

Mak, although I agree with what you say, the 166 is criticised as much for its looks as its handling. Yes, the real money should go into sorting the dynamics and build quality but in this 'super saloon' prestige sector, looks count for a lot. Lets face it, cars have to look good these days. Function means less now. People judge cars as much for there looks as there abilities.
GTV6

is anyone capable of giving the 166 a decent front end? Can it really be all that difficult? Doesn't say much for the 'talents' of today's designers that they can only come up with a restlye that actually looks worse than today's sometimes awkward front end.

g

AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

The only thing thhat makes the current car awakward is the relationship between the head lights and intakes.Make the lights bigger and lose the grilles and it would be spot on.The rest of the car is perfect as it is and should be left alone.
Nicola Romeo

I think our different opinions of the 166 facelift and how it looks clearly shows just how difficult it is to please US the buying public.
Can you imagine what it's like in the design team?
Existing 166 owners probably won't like any facelift because it may make theirs look dated.

Magior

looks like a stretched 147.............

if this is true alfa should be trying much harder

John Fanthorpe

Your money talks

The qualified opinion on the 166 Front End must come from the people who have shelled out for a 166.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the front end as it is - distinctive - functional - very, very desireable.

'I 166 come è può essere descritto solamente come: sfarzoso, curvacious, sexy, elegante e il bar degli sport più attraente sul mercato '.

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

04 147 GTA

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by John Fanthorpe:
<strong>
The qualified opinion on the 166 Front End must come from the people who have shelled out for a 166.

</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thats complete rubbish!!! Opinion is just that and no one on here has a more 'qualified' opinion than anyone else when it comes to how a car should look. Whether any of us own a 166 or not does not matter. Or any other Alfa for that matter. Just because you bought one does not qualify you over anyone else.
GTV6

err John, no offence, but using your own logic, does that mean you're not qualified to comment on the style of the cars you chose not to buy over the 166?

That said, I'd prefer it if Alfa did leave the 166 alone. In my worthless humble opinion, that is wink

g

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
166 , facelift