Alfa 156 JTS Oil and Sump Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-10-08 Thread Starter
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 JTS

Alfa 156 JTS Oil and Sump Problem

Hi there,

Following a service of my car on Monday, the garage carrying out the work were unable to remove the sump plug to drain the oil and replace the filter.

Now they have told me that the previous garage who tightened it must have employed some sort of gorilla to tweak it nice and tight.

They said they heated and cooled it, tried a 3ft torque wrench and tried to suck out the oil, but with no luck.

They have said that they can get the plug off with some serious banging about, but in doing so are likely to crack the sump and so have quoted me 600 plus for a new sump and labour. Alfa have also said that the replacement sump it is a specilaist part and so if they do get the sump plug off without any damage to the actual sump, I can't return the part.

I am useless with car mechanicals, but does anyone have any other options for me to avoid this expense.

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Re: Alfa 156 JTS Oil and Sump Problem

According to the Fiat EPER a sump is between 180-200

I am not sure but a TS sump just may fit. There are a few of those around secondhand.
AO Member
County: Essex

There are lots of breakers online. You could use a number of sites to source the part you need for you. I just ran a search for breakers and this is one of the many that came up: ::

Its worth a try at that sort of price.
AO Member
County: Kent

If the hex is completely rounded they will need to slot the bolt with a fine disc cutter, and a very large header blade and need to turn until it snaps or sheers or releases, smacking the hell out of it with a dot punch and a hummer is really going to balls things up.

Once the little buggered sherred, they should be able to either reverse drill and reverse tap, into the old thread, put a new bolt in and unbolt it, failsing that, drill it right out, and clear up the thread.

They should only replace the sump if they have chewed up the alloy arround the plug, or if a after all that a new plug doesn't seal.

Can't suck out the oil.. you kidding, a silicon tube down the dipstick and a vacuum oil sucker device thingy, like Mercedes use.

Sound like a back street garage to me, get it to someone who has some mechanical knowlege, not just Haynes 101.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , jts , oil , problem , sump