Alfa 156 - Heat related airbag failures - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Dave Edgar
Alfa 156 - Heat related airbag failures

156 2.0 TS - registered October 1999 - UK Spec

I have had two Airbag failures (fault light on)Drivers Steering Wheel and Drivers Side Impact both occurred after the car had been left standing in the sun for a couple of hours and both required expensive replacements.

Anybody had similar problems?
Sponsored Links

Yes this happened to me also on my previous 156 this summer. It also happened to another user on this forum, see further down the topics list.
In my case the drivers side (seat) airbag light came on after standing in hot sun for 1 hour.
After two trips to dealer they established bag needed replacing.
Dealer told me this would be chargeable so I wrote to Alfa GB who agreed to cover the cost under warranty.
My vehicle was same age as yours Oct-99.
The "hot sun" thing seems to be a recurring theme!
AO Member
Reply to fellow with air bag on in sun.I have a v6 98 156 and I live in a hotter place than yuo.Florida 20-34C never happened to me.Must be a bug in just yours.V Bondi
Every 156 owner I have spoken to has had the airbag warning light come on at some point. And a simple reset never seems to be enough.

My warning light came on after the car battery was changed. Unbelievably, the dealer told me that the airbag ECU had blown and that fitting a new one would cost 400 quid.

If I was the cynical type, I might think that the dealers were all conning owners and warranty companies by claiming the ECUs need replacing every time they just need a reset.

But if only franchised dealers can get hold of the proper diagnostic equipment, there is nothing we can do about it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , airbag , alfa , failures , heat , related