V. Strange Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-10-08 Thread Starter
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

1.6 156

V. Strange Problem

Iíve been having excessive amounts of problems lately with the Alfa, including all new upper and lower front suspension arms (both sides) ouch!!
But this new problem is strange. Bare with me while I give you a story of the background of my month.
Weíve been having a lot of excessive rain in my area, and the Alfas electrics have been playing up. It started with the battery going flat over night, the alarm going off and wouldnít start in the mornings. Then the fogs lights would come on when turning corners or rocking the car. Then about two weeks ago I went ploughing through a 3-4 foot puddle at 60 mph. Luckily I mostly aquaplaned over it cause I just didnít see it, but the engine did judder. I park it up and let it idle till it sorted itself out, and dried out. And carried on (only to do it again about a mile down the road!!)
Anyways, the new problem Iím encountering is it wont easily rev over 4000rpm! Its completely normal at idle speed and 1000-4000rpm. After that there is a significant power loss but once you hit 6000rpm it picks up again. Ive looked everywhere and I cant see anyone with this problem. Have I bent valves, water in the electronics, oxygen sensor gone?? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 v6

Re: V. Strange Problem

loss pf power would first be related to your mas air flow sensor. you wouldnt of bent any valves cos the engine just would run poorly or not atall.

one other thing to look at is all this talk of water etc youve been experiencing, it is worth looking at your spark plugs and make sure they havnt got water on them and give them a clean.

with regards to wishbone noise have you replaced them atall? if not they may just need cleaning up and greasing the bushes as this is a common problem on the alfa with squeaking specially in cold weather.
AO Silver Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Re: V. Strange Problem

If the fog lamps come on that means a short circuit. I don't know where, but a wire must have chaffed through somewhere. Sounds like a job for an auto electrician.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

problem , strange