147 JTD 16V Cambelt Snapped! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 08-10-08 Thread Starter
147 JTD 16V Cambelt Snapped!

Hi there,

Have searched the forum with interest re a recent cambelt snapping on my 147 jtd 16v Multijet.

Booked the car in to have the cambelt changed on the Monday (2 weeks ago) scheduled for 9.00am the following Friday morning.

Would you believe...it snapped as I was driving home on the motorway the night before Sods Law.... Done 69k and had full service history up til now, owned the car from new (alfa dealership) 2003 model.

So instead of a quoted 430 for a cambelt change & service it tripled to 1500! Just a measley extra 10 miles I needed to get it to the garage...they had the car the whole week before I had it back.

Called AR as suggested on the forum and they have said that they cannot help because the car is older than 5 years (registered July 2003). Assuming they are referring to 72k or 5 years mentioned in the handbook.

I am expecting a call from them tomorrow to discuss it further but dont hold out much hope. What d'you reckon chaps/chapesses?

Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia
Re: 147 JTD 16V Cambelt Snapped!

Hi Matrix welcome. I've moved your thread to the 147 tech lounge, good luck with your Alfa.
AO Gold Member

YOur water pump will probably have seized, although at a good Alfa independent, you could save a few hundred on that.

Water pump,
Belt and tensioner kit
Rocker replacement where broken
AO Gold Member
County: Kent

What rotten luck, sorry to hear this. Technically they are right though, 72K or 5 years, and you are a few months over
AO Platinum Member

As Mitch said, you are 3-months past the 5-year change point. So you would be very lucky to get anything out of Alfa because it hasn't been serviced in time (sorry).

No harm in trying though.

The cambelts on the JTD engines do usually last the distance, but sadly the 16v waterpumps seize before then (usually around 4-years) and snap the belt...
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 09-10-08 Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, appreciate your comments.

Just an extra kick in the nadgers following the snap....I run by the service requirements and dont give consideration to how old the car is..probably not alone here on this but hey.

Did get the feeling that they would have been quite helpful otherwise.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 16v , cambelt , jtd , snapped