Sportwagon suspension - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 08-09-02 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.2 SW

Sportwagon suspension

Hi, everybody.

My brand new 2,0 JTS Selespeed Sportwagon with Xenon's and Sports-pack is finally on the road, bringing joy to all !

But: I have driven a 156 SW with clearly superior suspension - an older version that I believe to have been fitted with Eibach springs and Bilstein dampers front and rear. It was absolutely marvelous - both more comfortable and better handling than my new one. Especially when driving on poor road surface, you would simply register the humps, but never really feel them, and the car would almost never "strike bottom," which my new one has done a few times already.

So.... the issue is complex:My SW has the factory fitted sportspack with the automatic leveling device integrated into the rear dampers. Two questions needs answering:

1. How to achieve perfection? Eibach offers a set of only front springs for these cars. Would it be sufficient to fit an improvement only up front? Would these "tilt" the car, by lowering the front but not the rear, or would the leveler adjust for this by lowering the whole car? What would I achieve if I only upgraded the front dampers - maybe that would do the trick? I could of course also rip out the levelers in the rear, and fit a conventional rear Eibach/Bilstein suspension, but this seems a bit radical to me. All in all, I would appreciate advice very much on this topic.

2. How to keep within the warranty regulations? Since it's a new car, it's important to stick to original or Alfa approved parts. I know that the Eibach springs are supposed to be approved, but I don't know how to verify this, and I don't know about dampers. This is, of course, a prerequisite as the car is brand new and - after all - an Alfa.

So - break out your know-how, and help me out on this one, please. As far as I know, there hasn't ben any change in the suspension made with this years facelift, so the new ones should be the same as the old ones. Allso - my primary consern is with the handling. A possible lowering of the car is really not an objective, but may be an acceptable means to achieve the right handling.

EX 156: Currently in a 159 2.2 SW

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

sportwagon , suspension