156 shuddering, cutting out in 4th gear. no power - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Victoria
156 shuddering, cutting out in 4th gear. no power

Hi there and thank you for accepting me into your forums. Owning an Alfa for nearly a year now, I can say it has given me more pleasure than any car I've yet owned.

Nonetheless I have a problem that I hope someone can shed some light on.

Recently, when coming off a motorway onto a traffic laden street, my alfa has been acting up. When I'm in, say 5th gear and brake, instead of rapidly de-cellerating back to 3rd, the car seems to trip at 4th gear and rev erradically. At this point when I give it gas, I have absolutely no power and have only the option of turning the engine off.

The fuel injection warning light comes on.

I can immediately restart the engine and drive away, the light turning off after about 30 seconds.

This has happened a few times in basically the same circumstances.

An exception to this was tonight when I left work (quite cold out) and the car stalled after about 4 mins of driving at low speed. Again, immediately restarted with no issues and got home.

Looking around the forums and seeing similar issues, some have told the others it may be a crank sensor or lambda sensor.

The car is overdue for a new timing belt as per recommended service, but I doubt this is the cause of the trouble.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, perhaps you can help identify the problem.

My technical details are:

2000 Alfa Romeo 2l Selespeed.
160k on the clock
All levels are fine (coolant, oil etc)
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Surrey
Re: 156 shuddering, cutting out in 4th gear. no power

From what I've read here I wouldn't think it would be the crank sensor as this seems to happen once the car gets warm and also when the car is accelerating ... same with the lambda sensor I've only heard of reports of acceleration problems/irratic idling neither of which you are doing ...

not sure what it could be .... but I hope you get it sorted
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex

Doesn't sound like a crank angle sensor. that normally only happens when the car is hot and you can't normally immediately restart.
County: Wiltshire

This actually sounds like a TPS problem,From you description I think we can rule out the Selespeed and gearbox side of things, as you have the TPS which can be opened up and cleaned, I would suggest that first, the cambelt will have stretched and if it's right at the end of the limits then it may be causing the crank and cam sensor readings to be just out of limits, maiking the ECU cut the engine for safety and giving you the warning light, So yes the cam belt being overdue can cause this andI'd recommend you get it done anyway.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 4th , cutting , gear , power , shuddering