Cam Belt Broken! Help and advice needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

Cam Belt Broken! Help and advice needed

Well, I was especially careful when buying my 156 2.0 TS as I had been warned that the belts can be a problem. So with the service record confirming the belt was changed at 100K (albeit 4 years ago) I thought I'd have at least to 160K before replacement was necessary. No such luck - it has broken at 130k and I'm lead to believe extensivly damaged the engine - in the way this failure does.
So... what to do? Can anyone advise me on the likely cost of repair (I understand that without proper examination it is difficult to be precise, but a ball park would be helpful) so I can determine if it makes sense to try to repair, or if I should cut my losses and sell to some-one who breaks these lovely cars?
It had a new engine & clutch from Alfa at 65K, is a T reg in Grey with black leather interior. Everything works (inc A/C) and MOT 'till May 09. It's broken my heart
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Cam Belt Broken! Help and advice needed

Sorry to hear about your loss

It'll defo. cost you more than the cars worth. Cheapest way is to put a second hand engine in.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset

Sorry to hear about the loss of your alfa. You are right the belts are a problem on the ts. Roughly i'd say worst case senario could be around the £600-800 mark. That would be for valves, belt, tensioner,guides, shells, head gasket, labour and other bits and pieces along the way. I hope someone can suggest a cheaper price than that. Its extreme but I change the belt every 36,000 miles. I took it off once and the belt had a massive 2 inch longitudinal split in it. So it just goes to show that even if you are careful it can be a problem. But I do change it myself which always saves on cost.

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
Alfa Mito QV , BMC filter.

GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.8 Lusso

Tough luck. Unfortunately, AR changed the belt change interval to 36,000 miles or 3 years some time ago. If you were relying on the owners handbook, that's out of date. Hence you were living on borrowed time. Had mine changed at 17,000 but 3 years and the tensioner (the usual problem) was rusty. These can sieze and strip the teeth off the belt.

You now know the cost of repair exceeds the value of the car. You would only consider this if you loved the car. Once repaired, providing you change the belt and the tensioner regularly, you won't have any more trouble.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

Bearing in might the norm for a cambelt change is £300'ish, you can then figure in a 2nd/recon hand head and labour. I think you're looking towards £1K ... as you should also get the bigend shells replaced. And t-reg is probably looking at other wear&tear. Around 4 years ago I spend around £1400 on a head rebuild but that included a new inlet manifold as the original had split open (possibly with the back pressure when the valve bent). As that was still cheaper than another car, I still had the work done.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Silver Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

156 2.0TS

I know how it feels, I had my cambelt slip which is just as bad. But lucky for me I had spare engine and it only cost me 320 for removal & refit and only took 2 days in the garage.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , belt , broken , cam , needed