Selespeed Gearbox Gears 1 & 2 Problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 28-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Selespeed Gearbox Gears 1 & 2 Problems

Hello all,

New to this site so a big hello to everyone, i'm hoping someone could shed some light on this issue i'm having.

I've got a 2001 156 2lt Selespeed which has done about 82k miles, I've owned the car for a year but only over the last couple of months started to get this problem. Please bare with long explanation:

Scenario is, about to use the car one morning (or afternoon) for the first time in a couple of days, turn the ignition on, car starts fine etc. Gear is in N (if memory serves me right).

After a minute or so fiddling with the radio, giving the engine a quick bit of time to move oil around etc I put the gear into 1st (in gearbox manual mode). The gear display on the digital dash flashes 1, so I pull away.

What happens next varies slightly, but usually the gear display jumps through gears, like 2 to 5 to 3 to 4, usually ending up in 4th and without shifting up or down the gear box it automatically goes into 2nd (baring in mind i'm meant to be in manual gear select mode) with the display still reporting im in 4th.

So i'm physically in 2nd gear but reporting 4th, I try to shift up a gear to go into what I think would be 3rd and it wont let me, I have to shift down a gear which will make the gear display go to 3rd and the physically gearbox shift up to 3rd.

This exact same thing happens if I was in 2nd gear.

This ONLY happens in 1st or 2nd gears, 3rd 4th or 5th gears (and reverse) have no such problems.

So lets say i was driving along in 4th, all fine, can shift through gears 3rd to 5th fine, come to some traffic lights in an orderly mannor to a stand-still keeping foot on break (or handbreak on), the car shifts down fine and gets into 1st, then what happens here varies, the digital display usually displays random gear numbers, and sometimes reverse (which sets the reversing alarm off) and the physical gearbox clunks (well, shifts) through gears, what gears I dont know as the dash is all over the shop.

And sometimes, the gearbox red fault light comes on, though this has usually only happened when i'm shifting from reverse to 1st in quick sucession like if I was trying to park the car.

From this point the only way I can usually pull away is to go into N, shift up to 1st and quickly start to pull away before the whole scenario starts again.

Sometimes this is more servere then others, usually when the car is cold or not been used for a while its very irratic, other times its not so bad. But this is becomming very annoying. Espceially driving along in 2nd and suddenly hear the reversing alarm come on, the gear display saying im going backward and in fact im in 2nd gear going forward.

Funny, it's only happens in 1st or 2nd, with other gears acting fine as they should do.

Putting the gearbox into Manual or City mode as no effect, and the same problems continue.

In a few instances over the last month (perhaps 4 times) the car has been operating absolutely fine, so i've (stupidly) shrugged the problems off, until this last couple of weeks when it's becoming very servere and happening continually.

Sorry for the very long rambling post, I'm just trying to explain what i'm continually getting in as much detail as possible.

Can someone shed some light on any of this? Is there things I can do/check to help?

Thanks guys,

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Re: Selespeed Gearbox Gears 1 & 2 Problems

if you have Alfadiag you can interrogate the Selespeed ECU, but I reckon you don't have that. Try cleaning the relays (next to the battery) take the big connectors off (2 near the throttle body and inspect the pins, clean them) and refit.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 29-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok will give that a try and let you all know what happens.

While i'm cleaning contacts, is there any that might be worth a clean?

AO Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Bensmith View Post
While i'm cleaning contacts, is there any that might be worth a clean?
The big electrical connector to the actuator.
(located under the MAF sensor)
AO Member

Any reports if this worked??
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 12-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi guys,

Sorry for the very late reply, i've not been near the car nor this website for a wee while.

Not to sound to much like an idiot, where are the relays & the 'electrical connector to the actuator' under MAF? Any pictures to show where these are?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

gearbox , gears , problems , selespeed