2.5 or 3.0 Automatic? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 20-08-02 Thread Starter
2.5 or 3.0 Automatic?

I am considering buying a used 166 sportronic but don't know whether to go for a 2.5 or a 3.0. The fuel consumption figures for the 2.5 may be better, but maybe not much better? Also it seems the 2.5 auto has been dropped from the new UK model lineup. Does anyone know why? Any advice on either model welcome. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

I have owned a 156 2.5 V6 and now have a 3.0L 166 Sportronic. There is NO comparision, the 3.0L is by far the better buy. Their is a marked performance difference between these 2 engines. While the 3.0L is a touch thirstier, it more than compensates for this in the way it delivers it's power. Based on the way the 2.5 used to "hunt" with the Q gate on the 156, I believe that with the extra weight of the 166 and it's "Sportronic" box, you may feel the same effect. I effectively had to always floor the 2.5 to get it to haul it's butt. Lack of torque for the 2.5 is it's problem, peak torque doesn't arrive till after 5000rpm.
Drive the 3.0l in "sports" mode to get the best out of it.
I guarantee it's a machine u will fall in love with.

I have not yet driven a 3.0L 166, however having had a lancia thema 16v turbo for five years when purchasing my 2.5 i was still impressed with its performance. The In the normal auto mode the car is fast but can be driven smoothly. In sports mode i find it as entertaining as the thema. The sequencial mode give you the feel to drop down gear before a bend and accelarate away quickly. However it will not allow you to drop down gear if the max revs would be reached and will still change up when they are. Pity but safe!
If you've got the choice take the 3.0. 2.5 is better as a manual.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT