Heater Plugs Warning Light - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Heater Plugs Warning Light

I had a management system problem when I tried to get the car re-mapped @ Red Dot recently. I took the car to Clovertech who diagnosed a fault code with the heater plugs. They cleared this and all was well for a couple of days and then predicticaly the light came on for 30 seconds or so, the handbook says it's a fault - oh really

I've had the problem with the light coming on almost since day one with the car, the dealer (now departed thankfully) could not find the fault and must have just cleared the fault. The car has always started without problems so I just ignored it - should have known better

I'm now being told by Lloyd (Clovertech) that this fault is interfering with the re-map. The car is running fine so on one hand I want to leave well alone but on the other hand there is 175 / 180 bhp and a bucket load of torques to consider.

To be honest I don't want another major expense if the heater system is screwed. Any advice on where to go next? Is this fault really the cause of the problem?

Brilliant Blue 156 GTA SportWagon | Q2 | KW V1 Coil-overs | Eibach ARB | Wiecher Strut Bar | Wizard Cat-Back

2009 Fiat Panda 100 HP Stealth Edition
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Re: Heater Plugs Warning Light

Seems abit odd to me as they are only used for starting so i dont see why it would make any differenceto a remap. Probably best to call other tuning companys and check with them. My light has been on since i got the car never fails to start straight away. I belive the plugs are required below -12 or starting may be a problem. The super high pressures used in common rail systems have much reduced the need for glow plugs.
Re: Heater Plugs Warning Light

On a cold start we have recently had the glow plug light come on and flash for a 30 seconds or so, but it doesn't do it on warm starts. No problem starting whatsoever.

The car is at BLS for a crank pulley and I asked them to check the glow plugs in view of this.

Their comment was that its probably a glow plug not quite getting to full voltage, and being picked up by the ECU fault reader. They'd had one or two do it with no obvious detriment to the running, so their advice for now is to ignore it. It will probably fail sooner or later at which point it will be replaced.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

heater , light , plugs , warning