156 Help required! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
John Garrett
156 Help required!

2 weeks ago my 156 started to change its mind where it should idle. When stationary at a set of lights say the revs can go from 1500 down to 600 and back again and then the car sometimes stalls.

Does anyone know what causes this??

Last night I was sitting waiting for my other half to buy some bits from a shop (the car was happily revving up and down as usual) when I noticed the temp gauge (that for the past year had been solid at 90) was all the way up and the red warning light had come on!! eeeek!

I drove down the road and the air movement seemed to cool things down. Driving the car this morning the temp gauge was sitting at about 60 when I was doing about 75mph and rose way above 90 when I was doing 30 - 40mph - is the engine really getting that hot and then than cool or is the temp sender broken??

Any help would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
uuuhhmmm from the sounds of it it's not so good, have you taken it to your dealer already???
AO Gold Member

About the temp: it can be a broken thermostat (English?). I had the identical problem with a totally different car a while ago. Too bad that was not the only problem. The head-gasket (the bit between the cylinderhead and the engine block itself) was also broken...

Perhaps a tip to check if it's the gasket problem: CO2 measurement in the radiator. This works because if the gasket is broken, the exhaust fumes mix with the cooling fluid... Any garage can do this in about 30 seconds...

But I think there is some relation between the revving and the temp problem, so somebody else has some better info for you ... ?

Good luck!
I had this problem with revs with my old Daewoo Espero 1.6 ,but after i refueled the hole tank and put a bottle of injector cleaner(Mobil i think), no problems. I think was a gas problem,dirty fuel .... Try this !
about the temp i could not give u any information !
Carl Brackenbury
I have had some fluctuating of revs on idle with my 2.0 litre TS. A run out of town seems to do the trick. I have only once had it stall and not restart very easily. That was just after I had washed it.
Does the Cat smell? that happened with mine at around the same time, the dealer again recommended a fast run, which did the trick.
I have had a staling problem with my 156 for years now. Very intermittent but normally after a short fast run (although I always let the temp rise before revving too high) and a quick stop (lights/petrol station/etc). Hasn't done it for about 10 months though. I presume you've checked the radiator for a crack?
read this. (cut and paste into IE browser as one line)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...8236%2524ef.35 074239%2540Flipper%26rnum%3D1

or http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...tos.alfa-romeo

and search that newsgroup for 'butterfly valve' or 'bad idle'
I have had the same problem with the idleing and the revs hunting. I was told that if I were to clean out the throttle body and throttle motor attached to the side of the trottle body with WD40 Then re-teach the system by turning the ignition on for 30 sec(do not Start the engine) then switch it off for 15 sec and start the engine this should sort the problem out.

I tought of doing this myself but as my car is still under warranty the dealer replaced the throttle kit and it has sort the problem out. The kit would normally cost about 54.00 and then an hours labour.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , required