ABS - 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
ABS - 156

Hi all. This is my first time here (100% newbie). 8 Months ago i bought myself my first (and new) car. Alfa 156 1.9JTD. And hell i love that car! very nice interior, very comfortable to drive and GGggRrrRr that engine!!

Except for one problem that he's had ever since i bought him, i can't think of a single complaint about his car.

Sometimes when i'm stepping on my breaks, and the car is almost fully stopped, i'm having this wierd electronic noise (ZOOM....ZOOM) coming from underneath my breakpedal. It's that hard i can even feel it shaking on my foot. Now together with this zooming-sound, sometimes the control-panel on the dashboard shows a problem in the ABS-system.

I've taken the car to the garage twice already for fixing this problem, but so far they haven't find a single thing yet. They tried finding something with this diagnostic-system but...no luck. Even when the mecanic drove the car emself he didn't notice anything!

Has anyone of you ever had the same experience in this problem yet? or does anyone maybe have an idea what the problem might be?

Tnx already!

-----Alfa is life------ (the rest is detail)
Sponsored Links
sorry for my english btw heh
AO Gold Member

It sounds like you're ABS is indeed cutting in (vibrating pedal). Can it be that the sensors are too sensitive?

Good luck!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

On my 156 the ABS does seem to cut in quite early, normally when just coming to a stop and as Ivo said the brake pedal does vibrate / pulse slightly when this happens, but no light comes up on the dash.
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Hi Nogi.

The ABS shouldn't cut in when bringing the car to a "normal" halt, especially not when the road is dry and you are only applying moderate force to the brake pedal. One of the sensors could be buggered, but this almost always sets an errorcode in the ABS unit (warning light on). My guess is a knackered tone wheel. Meaning it has a larger gap between two teeth, caused by a crack. When the car is going fast, the wheels are rotating so fast the ABS unit can not tell the difference, but at lower speeds, this causes the unit to think that the wheel with the knackered tone wheel is rotating slower (slipping) and therefore activates the ABS function. Have the workshop inspect the tonewheels, especially the front ones.

Let us know how it goes.

AO Member
also check the tyre pressure cos one tyre that is overinflated compared with the other will be slighty 'bigger' and can screw up the abs sensing causing it to cut in early/inappropriately

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , abs