Advice on Bottom End Problem...ooh eer - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Re: Advice on Bottom End Problem...ooh eer

I have known of many TS engines lasting well beyong 100k.

My last 156 (the one that darren156 bought from me) was on 97k when I sold it and TBH you would have never have known. It used hardly any oil, and ran like a dream.

A friend of mine has a Sportwagon with nearly 140k on it, and that sounds good as well. And he doesn't treat it with much sympathy.

Regular oil changes and top-ups are the key. Alfa's original recommendation of 12k miles is far too long IMO and 6000 miles would have been more sensible.

And don't forget the cambelt.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

Well I'll not disagree that some are a longer lived version, probably due to the care and attention by knowledgeable owners who fastidiously maintain them.

100k plus, in two 903c.c. Fiat's, back in the 70's/early eighties, both of which were 'toused' back and forth to work, each and every day, foot hard to the floor.:

I also remember reading an article in one of the broad sheets, by their motoring correspondent, who had compiled a list of the potential 250k machines worth considering. Yep! one was the 16v.Lancia Thema Turbo, so I got one.: I had only topped 70k plus, when I parted company with her, but she only had the requisite cam belt changes, with just the one tensioner replaced, that was for the balancer shafts. And naturally the requisite oil and filter changes, Nuff said?:
AO Silver Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Not Happy Re: Advice on Bottom End Problem...ooh eer

Realy sorry to hear of your owes, chaps. Being knowledgeable does help greatly, but doesn't mean it won't stop a major breakage.

3 years ago, I had a 155 1.8 16v on 126K. It didn't need more than about 1 litre of oil between the 10k service intervals I use. Before Christmas, I topped it up, and ran the car. At the time, I ran it very hard. It was only afterwards that I was reminded of something strange. I went to startup and drive away from the workshop as per normal. It didn't start easily or cleanly and produced quite a lot of smoke when it caught. The other mechanics said it was bad news. I dismissed it.

Two weeks later (I hadn't checked the oil level since Christmas- 2 weeks earlier), the oil light flickered on round a bend 3 miles from home as I was returning from Carlisle. I knew it was really bad. No oil on dipstick and 3+ litres suddenly used- very uncharacteristic. The top end and variator became noisy so I decided not to repair. My point is, was the bad start and smoke indicative of a breakage, and the cause of something, or just a symptom of running it hard? I never stripped it down, but I ran it until mid March (sounded really bad by then) and performance was also really poor (oil consumption 1 litre every 100 miles).

On reflection, I think that something failed which produced excessive oil consumption, and although it was run hard, I was not really to blame for it using 3 litres of oil in 800 miles. If I was more diligent, I could have prolonged it, as perhaps a seal let go in the head, and prompt investigative action could have prevented complete engine damage. It could have needed the head off and stripped to find out, but as I was getting married soon, I didn't have the time. My point is, if it happens to a reasonably switched on mechanic, it can happen to anyone. Beware of the the Twinspark.

BTW, the first thing I did was go out and buy another 1.8 16V 155! I had too many goodies on the old car to simply let go of (new suspension, exhaust etc)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Drive sideways- life's too short not to

Slip-sliding my way through winter. On four wheels and two.
(Post Link) post #29 of 30 Old 24-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

I have decided to keep the car now and alfa are fitting a new engine and srting my roll bar bushes for 2350 Ouch. But at least I will have a 3 year warranty and my Alfa back!
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Cry Like A Baby

Originally Posted by dscheller View Post

After just solving a cambelt noise problem and having my car running sweet as a nut it decided to let go during a drive today.

The engine started knocking so I call the AA and got towed to my local alfa who informed me it was a bottom end knock.

Gutted after just spending 450 two weeks ago on the belts and the car has only done 72k on a 52 plate with full momo black leather, bose, big wing etc.

I now have the option of seeing if anyone wants to make me an offer for the car as is or....

how easy is it to change the shells - can this be done by dropping the sump - then I could trade it in quick and maybe recover some lost cash?

Advice or offers welcome.
Hi mate,

How did you get on with this? I have had the same problem with my 156. I have taken the sump of and found that the No three bearing has gone, very light marks on the crank but no real scoring. I stopped it straight away so hope that i will get away with just the shells but as the crank isnt out cant check the circularity.

Please help

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , bottom , eer , end , problemooh