Design plagiarism on a grand scale - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mike D:
<strong>In NZ we get a whole range of Japanese Used Cars (JUCs). Many models, some of which were intended for the Japanese home market only. There is one car that seems to be quite popular, a Toyota 4 door sedan which I can't remember the name of, that bears a startling resemblance to the 156 (not the front but the side and rear). This model dates from the mid 90's so who is copying whom considering that the 156 was released in 1998.

Mike</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mike, could you post a pic of this such car, or at least could you please give us a link to where we could see one?

I don't know why, but I really want to see that car, sorta wanting to check out the "competition".

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." --Herr Einstein  155
Sponsored Links
Mike D
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Rapallo:
<strong>Surely the Fiat Coupe by that man, Chris Bangle, was the first to have hidden door handles in the pillar?</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And hasn't Nissan had hidden door handles in the C pillar of the Pathfinder SUV for years?

Regarding the JUC that reminds me of the 156, I'll find one and get it's model name. Can't promise a photo though as I don't have access to a digital camera and it's an older model now so might not be on the Toyota site. Might be able to find a link on a Used Car website though.

The Japanese can copy all they like and may fool most of the world......but the Europeans at least are no mugs. Here are some extracts from an article from "Automotive News Europe". The full article can be seen at

How the Japanese lost their way in Europe
Combined market share has actually fallen since Japan's carmakers began building plants here

By Richard Feast
Automotive News Europe / July 15, 2002

Collectively, Japan's net sales after all that effort is a Big Zero. Its net financial result is a black hole

Japan's engineering standards were unequaled, but European buyers did not want what they produced. They preferred European design flair, whatever the quality flaws

For Europeans, then, Japanese brands remain a vague amalgam of mainstream models. There is no Japanese equivalent of Alfa Romeo, Volvo, Jaguar or Citroen.

The Japanese never understood European design and what is in the minds of European consumers,"

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

design , grand , plagiarism , scale