How do I find TDC on my 147 2.0 TS? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

How do I find TDC on my 147 2.0 TS?

I've had my head skimmed and re-built after all 16 valves got thumped during a belt slip. Anyway, I've bought the cam locking blocks to do the job but just wondering how exactly I find TDC? Obviously with the head off I can see piston 1 but do I literally just wind it round until it is at TDC because I was under the impression that it could be on the wrong stroke if I do that or am I talking nonsense??
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Re: How do I find TDC on my 147 2.0 TS?

Shouldn't matter about the stroke (lost spark principle). Set it to TDC with the head off, and mark the crank/block for future reference.

A dial gauge is the (proper) way to do it if you want to find TDC with the head on.

Edit: PS - did you have the big-end bearings checked/replaced? Many would consider that as a necessity after a coming-together of the valves and pistons....
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

alfa 164lusso

with the engne apart its easy TDC is on NO1 pistin ( belt end) tdc is when piston at top of stroke. crank pulley is marked with TDC ( highlight with both marks with tipex - turn crank anti clockwise so all f pistons level ( avoid valve damage on rebuild) set cams with locking tools will set head for TDC piston one. fit head wind crank clockwise to makrks. fit belt and tighten tensioner. fit ballancer belt and tighten. remove cam locks turn engine twice by hand clockwise and ensure crank atTDC and both blocks will refit. thats it.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey

Note tensioners are set (in turn) at full deflection prior to rotating the engine twice, then they are set using the relative indicators. This is according to the manual.

Big end shells are 'shock loaded' when the valves and pistons meet. If unchanged they may fail a few hundred miles on. Do a search and you'll see that this is well documented.

This guide should help:-

Last edited by armoore; 31-10-08 at 15:08.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , find , tdc