"Respirator" of the engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
"Respirator" of the engine

Dear friends:

I recently found some drops of oil in my garage's floor, that come from my 147 1.9 JTD 16V. I've checked the case with a cousin (which is a mechanic) and we saw that the "leak" comes from a black plastic tube which is locate behind the engine in a vertical position. In portuguese we call it "respirador", or "respirator" in english and every car has it. Is something like the pipe that allows the engine to "breathe". For example when the engine as too much oil, the excess of that oil get ou of the engine through this tube. Usually is it just a humidity, but as time goes by, the humidity becames oil and starts to drain to the floor.

I wonder if someone knows how to avoid this situation. I refer that someone told me that Alfa just give order to clean the zone anytime it is made the service, but we don't believe it!
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 15-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: "Respirator" of the engine

Well, i've done a research on the eLearn and i found that the problem is on the cranck vapour\gas recirculation system. Can anyone tell me what to do with the situation? Is enough to take off and clean the oil separator?

Thanks for the support!
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 17-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well, because no one as aswered my question, i decided to put the scheme here. I hope someone knows what i'm talking about!

P.S. Sorry, is in portuguese...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Esquema sis. rec. vapores A.jpg (58.1 KB, 23 views)
AO Silver Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

156, Sprint.

Usually the engine breather pipe has what is called a collector. The excess oil drains into the collector which you then clean out when full. Although this is only the case on much older engines. I would imagine the newer engines have some sort of system whereby excess oil is fed back into the sump. Gases from the engine crankcase will be fed into the intake as they are deemed poisonous.

I would suggest dismantling and cleaning out the system if you have the inclination.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , respirator