VDC light on the dash .. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 12-07-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
VDC light on the dash ..

Got a query re the VDC on a 147 2.0 twinny. Friend of mine, Harry on here, has one and had the light come on when they were looning around on the way to work this am. Now I assume that it just means that the system is doing something because they are going to quick round a corner or something ??

Just to confirm really ..

PS I'm posting this as they don't have internet access at work

Sponsored Links
Hi Bingy-Bongy
Confirmed, the light should only come on during start-up checks, or when the system activates to bring the car under control.
Tell Harry to enjoy the driving experience but not to get TOO over confident.
The VDC system is good but can only compensate to it's, and the tyres, design limits. Once you pass those limits you will have a wild car that is not pointing the way you are heading and the right swift, decisive action will be needed to prevent damage/injury occurring.
Safety lecture over!!

Do you think that once the VDC light comes on, the driver has passed their limit of ability?

I know some of 2 147 owners who just love to see the the VDC light constantly flashing around corners, just because they enjoy seeing the technology of the car at work...And I also know of 1 owner who is proud of the fact that he has never had the VDC light flash, even during spirited driving.

Its a very personal area, and depends on how much you value your driving ability as opposed to the capabilities of the car.
No Stef that is not what I meant.
I was talking about the over-confidence of inexperienced drivers relying on the VDC getting them out of trouble all the time. In other words, once the VDC cannot compensate any more and the car is sliding/skidding, you are at the point where you need to be a driver with plenty of ability to get yourself out of trouble and back into the safe zone.
I know that how each driver uses his 147, the VDC and the ASR is a personal issue but we do not want to see any newbies coming to grief do we!
Since I changet Toyo TS1s the VDc is far less intrusive than it was with the Pirellis.With the P7000's you could hammer into a corner and literally lean into the VDC,it would stop the tyres from breaking away.With the TS1s,the car will slide effortlessly on all 4 wheels and the fun factor is increased 10 fold,as are the lap times!! (thats with the ASR turned off).With the TSis you can have great fun on roundabouts,the Pirellis just gripped and snapped though.

moral of the story? dunno,haven't a clue,but I suspect the tyres are a big factor that many ignore at their peril.The VDc system is fine for stopping a spin and for leaning into a corner,but chuck it in to quick and you can't defy the laws of physics,the car will spin.Used properly the VDc makes for a very effective cornering tool.I just wonder if the guy in question wasn't seeing the light flash for ASR as it shares the same symbol,and the fronts just lost grip and spun.?

Only was to really explore is on a track and turn in quicker each time,I did and when it was gonna go their was no way the VDC would stop it,it was passed the point of the cars limit and driver ability was not in the equation it,just went.Smooth cornering the best way to use the VDc,in my humble experience.

Got first track day on Toyos soon so wil post another Porche chasing review! wink

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

dash , light , vdc