Variator Valve and Worn Tyre!! help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Variator Valve and Worn Tyre!! help

Firstly - this site is the most helpful and comprehensive place I have seen in my life!!

I bought a 145 cloverleaf 3 weeks ago. The car has done 72K had all belts, plugs etc changed recently and is my pride and joy!.
I had booked the car in for an oil change aWAD services in Wolverhampton and I have just noticed two other problems and I am panicing a bit!!

1. I have noticed that the drivers side tyre has worn badly only on the inner edge - is this just a tracking problem or something worse?

2. I think I may have a variator valve problem - The car sounds a bit like a diesel at idle (but sounds fine when revved). The oil level has also been low as I was waiting for the oil service.

Can any body help me?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Founder of AO
County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Firstly welcome to our site...

Your comments above are truly staggering, thanks.

Dont worry to much about those 2 mentioned problems. Firstly, get the tracking checked at a laser alignment centre before stressing yourself out. My 156 recently wore the inside of the tyre down to some braiding in just 5k of use, completly my fault for not checking them regulary.

A question for you though:

Do you seem to get alot of brake pad dust on your front wheels. Quicker than you would expect? When I mean dust I mean quite alot of it building up.

If so this would indicate tracking is way out.

The diesel noise is infact the variator, get it changed when you can, it shouldnt go again for a while.

Keep us informed.

Thanks for the reply.....

With regard to the brakes, I drove the car 300 miles at the weekend and the the clean alloys were covered in brake pad dust by the end. Is this just a symptom of very bad tracking or is something likely to be knackered? Also what is a normal max running temperature for the Tspark engine?

Thanks loads for your reply.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

tyre , valve , variator , worn