Why do salesmen never talk to aftersales? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Jay Nine
Why do salesmen never talk to aftersales?

This is an industry plague, but for once its winding me up. Why do salesmen never talk to their aftersales people even when they are helping a customer.

Two visist to a dealer for the same part both times wrongly ordered. Reminder to the dealer about a part that picked up on handover as needed replacemnt - salemen didnt mention it - additional accessory, salesman didnt mention it, now a rubber trim part in the cabin at the top of the drivers side window has just fallen off - oh the joys of quality build.Guess what - nobody knows the part number. I wonder how long that will go on for. GTV part - the aerial - supposed to be replaced - salesman didnt menton to parts, so here we are waiting for a call that never comes. Is this where having 2 Alfas is going to be a pain? Did you know that on 147's the battery does not charge until revs go above 4,000?
Do I beleive this? I heard a dealer staff tell a customer that over the phone on saturday. Ehmmm.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Antwerpen
That should be nice for us dieseldrivers, where you almost never hit 4000 rpm... :-s
except fot the ones that go up to 230km/h :-) (no pun intended,bodhi..)
Buy a car, use a salesman, get everything agreed in writing which the salesman agrees to get done then deal directly with aftersales department.
Sales staff are commision led, they have made their money and then its aftersales job to look after you. Sales staff also work silly hours and usually have a day off in the week to make up for working weekends. So alot of the time customers claims and concerns cant be followed up there and then by speaking to the salesman concerned. If all items are listed on headed notepaper and signed by the sales staff then there should be no arguments. Also sales staff dont know the first thing about how long it takes to fit things and usually forget to book the car in with aftersales anyway. But that is why its called AfterSales!
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

The staff in a dealership should work as a team. Each should know the resposibilities of the other. The onus of coordinating the sale with delivery of what was ordered should not be placed on the customer. It is the resposibility of the salesperson to work on the customer's behalf. It is the sales person who is the customer's first point of contact, they are the dealership's representative. The course of the sale should be carried out without the need for the customer to become involved (unless there is a problem). This is what I would expect and reflects professional conduct.

I bought my car from Perrys in Aylesbury and was most impressed by their attitude towards the customer. I was kept fully informed by the saleswoman as to the progress of my purchase. At no time did I have to phone to ask, nor did I have to verify that what we had agreed was passed to After Sales, she informed me! She told me the days that she would be available so that if I had to call I knew I would be able to speak to her.

This gives the impression that as a customer you are valued. Otherwise the customer is given the impression that now the salesperson has got their commisiion that's it, you are on your own.

Commission is there to be earned.
Jay Nine
Absolutely right.
The reality is sadly very different most of the time. Our dealer has been very good. But when the After Sales director turns round and says "You know M+++, he never tells us anything" you have to wonder.
30,000 worth of cars and I expect a bit more than "we forgot" or "Sales never told us" when the reception desk is 30 feet from the salesmans chair. Its even worse when you point out the part for them in their catalogue and they get the number,write it down and it still comes in wrong, plus all the parts that were outstanding on the GTV - well they were never ordered because sales never told aftersales.
Not good enough. How quickly one can change ones mind when good salesmanship and practice to the point of delivery is suddenly let down.
AO Platinum Member
I got my new ship from Euro-land (saved 5k in the process).

My view is that the typical dealer doesn't add anything to the process, so why bother with them?

Ralf S.
Jay Nine
I find the savings only matter if you pay cash. A clever finance deal will keep monthly payments so low the price doesnt really matter. I set a budget and if its less we do it, if its more we dont. I dont care what it cost as long as I give it back in three years with a GMEV and a new car arrives in time. People do not spend enough time working out how to finace a car properly.
Jay as I understood it you had picked up a car and had problems, and also not had accessories supplied in the deal. If so you are better off dealing with the aftersales dept. When a vehicle is handed over, the sales staff should introduce the customer to the aftersales desk (service reception) and from then on first contact with the customer should be aftersales. Each person in a dealership has responsibilities to the customer, and as soon as the handover is carried out aftersales are responsible.

My dealer did exactly as you mentioned. On the day of delivery, I was introduced to the Service Manager and Spare Parts Manager.

I was informed that if there is any quries regarding the car at all, to contact these two gentlemen directly.

And it has worked like a charm so far. Perfect information delivery, and impeccable service, and most of allfriendly attitude coupled with customer empathy.

That is how car makers can keep clients for life. I mean you can try to have a perfect product, but your aftersales and service department is where the customer has to deal with for 95% of the life of ownership.
AO Member
No sech "team work" here in Belgium unfortunately. I originally got my FIat Bravo GT from the central dealership in Belgium with is situated in Brussels, and I found a good salesman.
For servicing and other issues I had to talk to other members of the dealership...
When I ordered the 147, I contacted the same salesman and this time, anything I have to comment about the car or requests for sevicing et al, I talk directly to him and tell him that he sold me the car, therefore he can co-ordinate the necessary staff and appointments; after all I am a paying cutomer and I didn't just buy a car, I bought an after-sales service/support too from him (as he represents the company)...
All seems to be going OK for the moment...

A 147 is the Alfa and the Omega of all. www.ricojfdd.net [+=]

The Red Pepper: 1.6L, 120+ bhp
BMC CDA, OZ 17" w/ Bridgestone Pole Potenza rubber, custom-made back box, SuperSprint cat replacement and centre section, Foliatec tints, Bilstein shocks, cross-drilled discs, Sony Xplod CD/Mp3 stereo, Momo gear knob + steering wheel, Sparco pedals, Beltronics Euro 550 Radar Detector and more...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

aftersales , salesmen , talk