147 superior suspension - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-07-02 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

147 superior suspension

Hi guys, i 'm so happy to still be here.. thanks to the mechanic who designed our 147's suspension (and perhaps to my experience - i drive since 11) i m still here with you!!

It was on Sunday noon, returning from weekend journey, driving to a country road, 2 lines road for each direction, smooth surface, long curves, trying to get back home fast, so i catch up the Mundial final!!
So i had stepped on it

Plus that there was a Primera 2.0GT just behind me that i wasnt willing to let him pass my bella.
So i had 180km on the clock (...) turning those long curves, passing the other cars like the were stopped, feeling the car turning with safety and having my eyes real open and careful on the road.

Suddenly i saw a big (i mean BIG) bump just in the middle of a shorter right curve, a curve that i was planning to take on limits. A curve that i should have at least 20km less speed to feel safe taking it.

I immediately turned the steering wheel more right for a while, to move towards the inner of the curve, to have space to pass the bump on a straight line.
The car responded right away to my command and we hit the bump, the suspension must reached just before its limits, the car moved up like it was about to land off but we passed through without loosing control, with a straight line route over the bump. I corrected my line as i passed the bump and stepped on it to have full roadholding as i was getting out of the curve..

My gf stayed frozen for a while and as i was decreasing speed to calm down i explained to her that we are very lucky to have a car like this. A car with a superior suspension and handling, and we should thank those italian mechanics for this.

IMO if i had lowering srpings fitted, the suspension would not have the distance to absorve that huge bump and we would land off..

So please guys, any of you have a lowered suspension, try not to drive fast on unknown roads, i know the car gets better with the springs but thats more on tracks and real flat roads, not on bumpy ones.

Lets keep ourselves safe, so we can enjoy more.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Australian Capital Territory

Member car:

RS Clio 197

You must have an understanding girl friend :-)

Still you have a point, all suspension is a compromise, and I've come to the conclusion that the factory set up is designed for a good reason, ie it a wide range of road conditions. Lowered suspension is really good for the track and for smooth roads, but when the road is rough, or it is wet, then I'm not too sure.

I once had a Renault R12, whose suspension I modified with thicker antiroll bars, Koni shocks set to hard and the front suspension rails slotted for negative camber on the front wheels. Thus modified, the normal understeer was much reduced dramatically, but one day in the wet, coming off the Sydney Harbour Bridge, I came into the corner a bit hot and it just flung itself sideways (who said FWD cars never oversteer) and proceeded to fishtail down the Bradfield Highway, and only ended when a rear wheel hit the gutter, bending the rear wheel and axle. The moral of the story is that when you modify the suspension,you may gain cornering speed and handling, but itcan make the car less progressive in some conditions.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 01-07-02 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

Well yes, i spoiled her Sunday to watch the game and she even called her brother to write it to vcr since i didnt catch up the first part

To the point, i had a Peugeot 106 before, Viden springs - DeCarbon shocks, lowered 3cm but still progressive, very impressive behaviour. The car could get into curves with more speed but when it was about to loose traction it did it with no warning. I never regreted the mod but i tried to be a bit careful on bumpy roads (most of the times )

I 've talked to many drivers who had experimented with their suspension, most of them had the same conlclusion, the car got better by changing only the shocks, keeping the factory springs (many liked the black Bilsteins)

(if you like to look better you have to change the springs definetly..)

Really glad to hear that the 147 saved you guys.
I have the lowered suspsnesion, and I feel that in the wrong hands on public roads, it may give false confidence.

On well known roads, I am not afraid to push the car well into the VDC region, but on unknwon twisty roads, I am not will ing to take an expensive risk.

Very good point you made.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , superior , suspension