The Alfa Romeo badge has gone through a number of changes through the years, although the main idea of the badge has remained constant. The badge contains a shield made up of the cross of St. George, the Saint of Milan where the company was originally founded and where its headquarters remain today. Alongside is the shield of one of Milan's powerful families, Visconti, a member of which is claimed to have been the first Christian into Jerusalem during the Crusades. The shield shows a serpent devouring a Saracen.
Outside of this centre shield lies a blue circle containing the words Alfa Romeo. ALFA comes from the words Anonomia Lombardia Fabbriccio Automobili whilst the name Romeo comes from Nicolo Romeo, the famous Milanese industrialist who bought the company in the 1910s and turned it into the manufacturer of sports cars and aero engines whose reputation survives through to the present day.
Originally the badge incorporated the word Milano at the bottom of the shield, but with the introduction of the Alfasud, built at a former Alfa Romeo Aircraft engine factory near Naples, the name was dropped. Between 1950 and the mid-eighties the badge was surrounded by a laurel wreath to commemorate the World Championships won by Farina and Fangio in 1950 and 1951, the first years of the World Championship for Grand Prix cars