High water temp warning light problem. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
High water temp warning light problem.

This problem is actually on my GTV, but exactly the same system is fitted to 156s, and I believe 147s so I am fishing here.

My high temp warning light (the light red light on the temp gauge constantly flickers on and off) It is doing my nut!

The temperature sensor is a 3 pin type. I have looked the problem up on my E-Bay CD. Earlier (pre 1998) cars have a separate sensor screwed into the head for the overheat warning light near to the thermostat housing, as well as the one on the stat which gives the reading on the gauge. Later cars seem to have only one sensor that feeds the gauge and then the gauge decides if the temperature warning light should come on.

I have swapped the thermostat sensor for a new one when I did the stat change. And checked it worked on my 156 first.

My GTVs ECU shows the flickering as a intermittent earth fault. The gauge works well and gives accurate temps.

Does anyone else know anything about these temperature sensors before I go looking for touching wires behind the gauge in the dashboard.

Really, any help would be hugely appreciated!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

high , light , problem , temp , warning , water