How to tell when VDC works! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
mr hanky
How to tell when VDC works!

Okay, this is only for the terminally curious or trivial-minded, but since a few people have mentioned they can't tell when VDC operates, try this:

Select the AM band on your radio (you almost certainly won't have done this before, so it will be an interesting exercise in itself). Set it to a frequency down the bottom of the band, with no actual station on it - try around 530. You should now be hearing crackly static.

Now go and drive your 147 in the manner for which it was intended. Voila! Whenever the VDC activates your radio will make an annoying high-pitched buzz.

And no, this isn't sad. Sad is when you don't lose interest after 2 minutes, and keep doing it all the time...

(This might work for ABS and/or traction control as well. I haven't been bothered to find out yet!)
Sponsored Links
Mr. Hanky,

Should I ask how it is that your radio found its way to the bottom of the band in the first place?

mr hanky
You may choose from one of the following:

1. I slipped or something.

2. I'd had a few too many and was messing around with the buttons while my wife drove me home.

3. My dog did it with his nose.
The best way to test your VDC is to choose a nice wide roundabout when there is no traffic about. Approach it relatively quickly and give it full throttle as you are going all the way around it. Watch the yellolw light flashing as the VDC kicks in and takes control or if it is not working hang on as you will be going for a spin. Hence the reason for using a wide roundabout. Plenty of room to spin without doing any harm.
Of course, I accept no responsibility if you do manage to end up in a ditch trying this!!!! but it works for me.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

vdc , works