156 door mirrors - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
156 door mirrors

Does anyone know the proceedure for removing these? I would like to paint them the same colour as the car. Yes, I know the pitfalls...but I want to do it anyway.

Sponsored Links
AO Member

I asked about replacing my 147 mirrors with some other ones and the dealers told me that it is not possible as the driver's side mirror has the little "nipple" underneath the mirror that is the temperature monitor or something and that you can't/shouldn't disconnect it.

If you really want to colour-code your mirrors I would suggest that you either carefully mask of the surrounding area and spray paint them or then get a paint brush and do the job slowlmy but carefully... unless you can find some replacement covers for the 156 mirrors...

A 147 is the Alfa and the Omega of all. www.ricojfdd.net [+=]

The Red Pepper: 1.6L, 120+ bhp
BMC CDA, OZ 17" w/ Bridgestone Pole Potenza rubber, custom-made back box, SuperSprint cat replacement and centre section, Foliatec tints, Bilstein shocks, cross-drilled discs, Sony Xplod CD/Mp3 stereo, Momo gear knob + steering wheel, Sparco pedals, Beltronics Euro 550 Radar Detector and more...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

Siro, you cant just spray on plastic and paint it. If so, the paint will peel off after some time. You must apply special layers before spraying, so the paint sticks permanently on the plastic.

Remember a black mirror is nicer than a funny painted one.

IMO a professional should do this for you,
Points taken. Perhaps leave it alone after all.

AO Gold Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Plus with inconsiderate drivers around they are bound to get scratched sooner or later.
All I can say is do it professionally.

I overestimated a gap in traffic and came flying in, only to smash my passanger door mirror against that of a delivery van. I pulled over, thinking that I had smashed the whole unit.

Instead I found some black streak left by the other guys mirror. Got home and applied some polish and rubbed for a while. Hey presto, no marks left,and the original paint was totally undamaged.
Mike D
Why is that Alfa, with the "new" 156 and 156GTA have only half done the job with color coding the wing mirrors. They've painted the plastic shroud around the mirror but left the triangular bit that connects the mirror to the door black. It wouldn't be so bad if the line between the mirror and the triangular bit was straight but its curved and to my mind it doesn't look right. Either all black or all painted.

And it's really great that Alfa went for design before function with the 156 wing mirrors. If they were truely functional they would be a more regular shape which probably wouldn't fit with the flowing lines of the car.

AO Member
This thread didn't end the way I'd like....
I want my mirrors and frames painted. What's the correct procedure for taking the mirrors apart?
I'm not painting them myself, I'm getting it done professionally.

The frames have started to peel, and the mirrors have been scraped by the previous owner.

Best Regards
Mogens Beltoft
AO Gold Member

Have them sprayed whilst on your car. I know a dozen painters that can do this. (first plastic primer, then filler and then paint). They will mask it. No worries...
AO Member
If you still decide you want to remove the mirrors, I can tell you exactly how to do it as I did it myself last weekend after some clown attempted to remove my passenger side mirror with his own in the middle of the night. Fortunately he/ she- don't want to be sexistdidn't get the side of the car.At 114+ VAT for a replacement though, I shall be folding my mirrors in from now on!
Anyway- prise the plastic triangular trim from the inside of the car (which is adjacent to the mirror), it is held on with two metal spring clips and comes off without too much trouble. Disconnect the wiring plug that comes from the mirror through the apeture in the door from the loom. Loosen and remove the three silver allen bolts which connect the mirror through the door. Job done.
P.S. Bear in mind that you will have a hole in the door now, so cover it up if the car is to be left outside for any period of time with the mirror/s removed.
P.P.S Not too sure about disassembly of the mirror as that was kind of done for me!!!
This is good timing seeing this item as I am intending to remove my mirrors to re-paint the balck triangular panels that mount the mirror to the outside of the doors. The car is just 3 years old but the paint is already flaking off on both sides, and you can't buy a new panel without buying the full 130 mirror assembly. Cheers Alfa, good work again on the spares and build quality side of the business.
Just had mine sprayed silver (GTA style) i.e without spraying the triangular metal bit. They look the bizz. Once you know how to do it - removing the mirrors is a sinch.It does help to remove part of the door trim though by taking out the screws holding in the speakers. Remove the mesh(?) grill by unclipping.
I actually prefer the mirrors half black and half white - i think they got it spot on with the GTA.
BTW - The finish on the mirrors is exactly the same as the rest of car - you can't tell the difference. You will need the colour code though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , door , mirrors