Annoying little niggle with CD Player in 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 13-06-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
Annoying little niggle with CD Player in 147

Does anyone get this problem or is it just me?

When I turn on the ignition the CD/Radio powers up and the CD starts playing from where it left off when the car was stopped. When I then turn the key further again to start the engine, the CD player powers off and back on, but seems to get confused with the CD and ejects it with a CD error. Does anyone else have this problem? Damn annoying if your half way through listening to the CD. It doesnt happen all the time but nearly.
Sponsored Links
Yup, same here! Mine doesn't eject, just says cd error. this started after I've had the car for 2 months, so I'm going to get it fixed. Mostly it doesn't happen if the car has been cold for many hours, but if I for example turn it off, and come back in half an hour it happens. So it could be some sort of heat problem or something?

I had the same problem with my System from new. I pointed it out to my dealer and they replaced the unit for me.

Not soon after the replacement I fitted the Stacker too. I have only had the CD error twice since then (9 months).

Get it checked and replaced by the dealer. Would help if you could reproduce the problem in front of them though!.

Had same problem, but it only happened on a couple of occasions. Dealer suggested to power of the stereo before switching of the ignition and power it back on after you've started the engine. It sounds more of a work around rather than a solution to me, but at least it works, and it does continue from where it had left on power off.

Not had this problem, yet. Hope not to either.
AO Gold Member
Never had this problem. But sometimes my CD gets ejected for no apparent reason.

And I sometimes get a craking sound when using the steering wheel volume controls frown
AO Member
I had a similar problem, when starting the car up (even warmed-up) and I tried to switch from the tuner to CD, the message CD ERROR would come up and I couldn't even eject the CD.
Power off and then back on would usually solve the problem, but I have now found a new and better solution: I am going to replace the head unit and get an top-of-the-range Sony 20xCD/CD-R/CD-W/Mp3 changer and head unit installed (hopefully by the end of July - Salary needs to get into the bank first....)

A 147 is the Alfa and the Omega of all. [+=]

The Red Pepper: 1.6L, 120+ bhp
BMC CDA, OZ 17" w/ Bridgestone Pole Potenza rubber, custom-made back box, SuperSprint cat replacement and centre section, Foliatec tints, Bilstein shocks, cross-drilled discs, Sony Xplod CD/Mp3 stereo, Momo gear knob + steering wheel, Sparco pedals, Beltronics Euro 550 Radar Detector and more...
Africa Grey
I have an almost similar problem except everytime i turn off the engine the CD stacker [favctory fitted blaupunkt] in the boot starts again and takes about 2 mins the reconfigure, meaning i have to listen to the radio and then find the track i was looking for

I had a 147 last year, and had the same problem with the CD. Very often I would switch from radio to cd, to get the CD Error message. Plus the CD wouldn't eject. Had to turn the stereo off, wait a while (once - up to an hour !!), and then turn it back on again, before I could use the CD player.

Brought it to dealer, who said it was a problem with a CANLINE (whatever that is). Anyway, they fixed it, and it never happened again. I think there is some mention of CANLINE's in the 147 manual. Something to do with a check on the keycode, when you turn on the stereo. Somehow this got screwed up and was interfering with the way the CD worked.
Jay Nine
The only problem with the car so far has been that when the external temperature hit 25c+ the cd jammed and would not play as the dashboard got so hot facing into the sun for 200 miles. We have also had the whole thing loose all volume from all sources. Only by turning off and turning on again 5 minutes later was this resolved. It was VERY hot - even with aircon on low it was boiling hot to touch the dash and the external temperature was 34C at one time for several hours. At ther moment I am puting it down to that.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , annoying , niggle , player