156 high mileage - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
156 high mileage

Interesting to hear about someone in the 2.5 v's 2.0 discussion say that he has had 132k miles out of his 155 v6.

Has anyone run their 156 up to any high mileages? if so what problems have people experienced at what mileage.

I want to keep my 156 v6 to 120k miles(192.000 km), hopefully on original clutch, exhaust and gearbox.

What do you all think???
Sponsored Links
I had a 156 V6 part exchange that had 148,000 miles on a 98, R with FARSH. The bonnet was badly chipped and leading edge of roof was starting to corrode, it had had a gearbox rebuild at 125k due to knackered syncros, two throttle control units, 3 cambelts, all new suspension bushes/links front and rear. Fuse box cover was hanging off and sunroof wouldn't work. Apart from that it was great!!
AO Gold Member
I drove a (lease) 156 JTD from 122.000 up to 154.000 kilometers (about 100 k miles). It was a diesel, so hard to compare.
Anyway, in those six months I had following problems;
Broken airco pump, broken power steering hose, worn out front suspension arms, fuse box cover that came off on every big bump, HUGE rattle in right side backdoor. Exhaust & clutch were kept original.

Good luck with your v6
Hmm, got to get that cambelt changed early..Bumped into a guy with a v6 last night at Halfords, who worked at Alfa main dealers who said it was frightening how many came in with blown engines at 65k. Not sure about his stereo system, lets just say the bass box (if that is what they are called) took over the WHOLE boot...deaf now.

Why do Alfa recommend the change first at the 72k service? It seems liek suicide or v. risky strategy to run it up to that mileage with out a change.
In cold countries people say the 2L timing belt should be changed at only 60th km!

AO Member
My June 1999 V6 156 has 90K on the clock, problems I have got (In order of severity):

1)Need Clutch
2)Synchro shot in 4th gear
3)3rd gear difficult to disengage when stationary
4)Roof has started to corrode at leading edge

However Engine is still strong!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , high , mileage