156 V6 Gear Stick - Help With Eper - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 23-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

MG ZS 180

156 V6 Gear Stick - Help With Eper

Evening All,

Before I start, I know there have been loads of posts about sticking gear levers due to the gear shift plates / bushes wearing over time. I have this problem with my 2.5 V6, although to be honest I am not 100% convinced that this is the problem.

I have exactly the same fault as what a lot of you folk have had, whereby the lateral movement on the gear stick is like "stirring porridge" - it doesn't want to centre itself and is pretty much rock solid, although backwards and forwards movement is perfectly fine.

I done the usual procedure earlier, removed the battery and the tray and had a look at the shift mechanism. I removed the long bolt (17mm nut) with the two bushes, and re-greased it, and put it back together. It is still no different, if anything, the gear movement is stiffer, although this time I can get it in 6th gear!

If I move the gear shift mechanism backwards and forwards (from under the bonnet), there is a healthy clunk as the gear stick moves, although to get a sideways movement is an absolute pig. I really am stuck because I can't get my head round it. The two plastic bushes what the long bolt goes through are fine, they haven't broken down or fell apart or anything, although I have noticed that there is a spring that sits behind that 17mm bolt which is rather slack - I am guessing that it's this spring that controls the return movement if the gearstick is moved sideways. I think this is where the problem could be, but cannot find the part on Eper. I have also looked for the gearshift plate on eper, but to be 100% honest, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. If any of you guys have a V6 and have the part number for this, please do share it with me, as this is a really irritating problem that I can't see myself getting to the bottom of !

Thanks In Advance,

Alfa Romeo 156 3.0 V6 24v Lusso (2000)

Lancia Delta HF Turbo IE (1991) - Rust In Peace !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , eper , gear , stick