dealer broke my 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
big elephant
dealer broke my 147

Prior to taking my 147 in to the dealer for its 12k service I mentioned the much discussed boot alarm problem, so that they could carry out any adjustment etc. during the service. Surprisingly they had never heard of the problem but engineer suggested the boot catch and through further discussion we discovered that the rubber bump stops can be wound in and out to adjust. I suggested trying adjustment first and had no further problems up to the service date. I was not too concerned about this problem and on booking in for the service told the receptionist that the problem seemed to have been solved (wrote this on the booking in card).
However 'engineer' investigated problem- boot catch, bump stops and key switch. They came to the decision that it was the key as it didn't work with the car at all after it had been 'reassembled' (order new keys).
Upon returning home, after collecting the car, I tried the other 'untouched' key switches and nothing worked. So back to dealer who concluded that they had damaged the body computer while carrying out investigation (ordered new one).
Six weeks later and ive just heard the parts are in to be fitted, but when I asked for a courtesy car (wife is due to give birth any day) I was told I will have to wait another week. Thats seven weeks without an alarm protecting my pride and joy due to dealer incompetence. Im considering taking car to another dealer for any future servicing, but will they be any better, and will be forwarding my feelings to dealer, dealer head office and Alfa UK, once this problem has been resolved.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Good luck big elephant!!! I try to visit the dealer as little as possible!!!!!

When i first told mine about the boot problem... they too had not heard of it!!! Incompetence is the word!!
Punch 'em on the nose.

Big elephant, whilst I understand your frustration, can you really hold a dealer responsible if the manufacturer cannot supply the parts?
A more interesting problem would have occured if the vehicle was stolen whilst unprotected by an alarm. Would your insurance company pay out? Also could your insurance company sue Alfa or the dealer to regain the money they had to pay out? Does anyone know the legal view?
Oh yeah forgot to ask WHY BIG ELEPHANT?
big elephant
Yes I agree that the dealer cannot be held responsible for delivery of parts but there wouldn't be a requirement for parts if they hadn't broken it in the first place.
Have you ever seen a small elephant, even the little ones are big so imagine what size abig elephant is. Not saying its the same size as me though.
Redlined her in fourth last night for the first time - 105mph, fantastic pulled strongly all the way.
AO Member
Big E,
who is the Alfa dealer in Aberdeen these days? When I lived there (almost 16 years ago!) they were on The Great Western Road in Mannofield I seem to remember, though I can't recall the name.
How is life in the Granite City these days any way?
AO Platinum Member
Insurance has to pay for a nicked car. The presence of an alarm reduces the risk of getting it nicked but if it's temporarily knacked and the car gets stolen it's too bad.

The dealer only becomes liable if he's negligent, rather than incompetent (like leaving it on the street unlocked).

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , broke , dealer