Rear parcel shelf speakers 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rear parcel shelf speakers 156

I picked her up this week - 156 v6. Why oh why did I wait so long. This little baby has done 60k miles and there is no squeek or rattle. I was preparing myself for that after driving german cars for ages. Amazing.

Anyway, let me get on to the point. The car does not have the speakers fitted in the rear parcel shelf, but everything is there (connectors and ready to fit slot to put them in) Has anyone fitted a pair themselves? what in your experience is the best make and spec.? Not that I really need the sound to be any better, but I wouldn't mind a bit more bass - when I run the engine note through the stereo!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

Hi Dom,
First check if the car was supposed to have the rear speakers,
you might get them for free on warranty.

If not, check these
for seperates or co-axials (Vifa has perfect co-axials).

If you find them expensive (they worth every pennie)

i have heard their co-axials (VB line)
and they are very good (and not expensive)
Vifa would be my first choice.

Both solutions guaranteed [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
AO Member
The stanard UK set up is.

Front Doors - mid range and tweeters
Rear Doors - Full range speakers.

Parcel shelf - nothing fitted.

I havent looked if I have wiring to the parcel shelf but have been thinking about fitting some amplified 6x9's or similar there myself.

Mike D

In NZ the early 156's came out with the rear speakers fitted. On later cars it became an option - one way of cutting the dealer cost. Anyway I fitted a pair of speakers myself. Had to buy the genuine covers (pretty darn expensive too). I didn't get the genuine cover attachment parts but used some really thin wire and a very small drill bit and tied them down after cutting the blanking panels out of the rear parcel tray. You have to look really close to see any difference in appearance between mine and the genuine fitting.

The metal shelf under the parcel tray is not the normal flat tray with speaker holes already in it. It is basically just a frame with a huge hole between the back window and the back seat. The holes are all there for the speaker mounting plates, once again you could buy the genuine Alfa mounting brackets but I made some out of thick plywood and bolted them in. The speakers I bought are nothing special - a pair of Kenwood 6X9 4 way's but they do the trick. They have added to the sound quality in that I now get some bass, not too much though (I'm not a fan of boom boxes).

It's not an easy job fitting these speakers though. I had to remove the back seat to get the parcel tray out, took me a whole week of spending a couple of hours on it every night after work but the effort was worth it. And the standard Blaupunkt head unit seems to be able to drive all eight speakers OK. The car stereo shop I asked about this before I began said I'd have to buy an amp plus replace ALL the speakers to improve the sound quality and while I'm at it this new head unit would really do the new speakers justice.

All in all, I'm happy with the job I've done and the sound quality is good enough for my less discerning ears. After all the real music in an Alfa comes from under the bonnet not a CD.

Mike [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
With what Mike D said in mind, I may just leave the backshelf alone [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The engine says it all

Siro [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , parcel , rear , shelf , speakers