147 JTDM Power Loss - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 19-08-08 Thread Starter
County: Warwickshire
147 JTDM Power Loss

Hi people

I have a 55 Plate 147 JTDM 16v Lusso. Got it 2nd hand from an Alfa dealer in November 2006, with about 5000 miles on it. My job takes me all over country and I do LOTS and LOTS of miles, went through 100,000 miles today.

Everything has been fine with it until mid July. I was away out of country for 4 days and had left car at airport, got in, turned key and car stalled straight away. Tried again and it worked, put foot down and the car managed 1500revs and no more. Within 5 seconds the car had revved wildly, lots of black smoke but the car was fine. Drove about 5 miles, pulling away from a roundabout, lots of black smoke, no power, maximum 2000 revs. Limped home.

Next morning tried again, no power and engine kept cutting out if left at idling revs. Managed to get it into the dealer it was bought from and they said it was the most likely the EGR valve. They kept the car overnight and replace the valve. They called to say that the car wasn't losing power, but that it still kept cutting out at tickover. They then replaced the Air Flow Meter and said it was fine. Got the car back and what a difference, it was like driving a new car.

2 weeks later, black smoke and loss of power (but no cutting out). Got it back to the dealer, they said it was Turbo Boost Valve. This was replaced, got car back, again like new. That was last Thursday.

Driving today on M6, changing upto 6th, slight hesitation in engine, loss of power, but not too much black smoke. Carried on driving, and car came back to life, revving freely, quite happy driving along at the wrong side of 80mph, then loss of power.

I have noticed that if the car is driven from cold it tends to be okay for about 40 miles then starts playing up. I never lose power when I am in gear, it seems to be when I am changing.

Car is coming to end of it's warranty and would like to get it all sorted before we have to start paying for it. Also looking to go on holiday in it soon, and would like it to be reliable.

Any Ideas...
Sponsored Links

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: 147 JTDM Power Loss

I had a similar thing with my GT and it turned out to be the emissions valve. Hope this helps. I had a troubled time with my car till they found this ........ garage thought I'd put the petrol in my diesel lol.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , jtdm , loss , power