Warranty "Law" - Insurance Consequences - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Jay Nine
Warranty "Law" - Insurance Consequences

The situation in respect of warranty for any manufacturer at the end of the day is as follows.

1) The whole vehicle cannot have its warranty terminated unless a) It is written off, b)it is exported outside of the EU and re-imported. Even so some manufacturers will honour warranties if official non-EU franchises have maintained the vehicles service history.

2) The fitting of ANY part or modification of any part including chipping and or exhaust mods, suspension changes etc, that can be shown to have caused a malfunction in one or more systems if those parts were fitted as non standard, non intended non-manufacturer approved modifications, gives the manufacturer the right to terminate warranty on the affected parts.

eg: your engine blows up because the mapping on the chip can be considered to have had a bearing on the problem - no warranty. It is up to YOU to prove it did not cause a the defect.

Most manufacturers are fairly lenient, but major issues will cause a lot of grinding teeth and blatant mods can cause warranty rejects, especially on wear and tear items.

The thing that bothers me about mods is that few people realise that anything and everything MUST be reported to your insurance company. Unless they approve the mods or know of them in writing, any accident you have no matter the cause they can and do refuse to pay out, in fact often consider that from the moment of installation if they are not informed, your insurance is considered null and void. As many of you will know this goes all the way down to how much tread you have on your tyres. Insurance companies will not pay out if tyre tread is below legal limits, even on one tyre.

The moral of the story is if you are going to do a mod, realise the consequences, in insurance and warranty. If you can afford not to care in warranty terms, fine, but nobody can afford to be without insurance -if you get caught the penalties are severe.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
I've done the arrangements with my insurance... expensive tho...

Exhaust...Extra 100 till next March and,
Induction...Extra 100 till next March!!!

Thats 200! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I wonder, do they need to know about clear side repeaters???
I informed the insurance company of everything,even the *undetectable* remap.Premium up by 40%,but as Jaynine says,is unavoidable.Warranty an occupational hazard though,so be it.
Jay Nine
There is only one rule - if its not on the approved accessories list from the manufacturer, and its different from the standard spec car, then your IC needs to know. Its as simple as that. If they can find a way not to pay they will.
G-147, other people may be looking at the repeaters & cause an accident [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Remember to report if you are going to wear a fluorescent yellow t-shirt & black cap, in case someone believes you are a traffic cop [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Seriously, it is an interesting thread - after all, we do not think of the consequences when we have a boot load of stuff & 3 or 4 passengers, and yet from a danger & insurance-payout-value, surely this is more of a risk than running better brakes, better tyres (insurance companies do not insist we fit good tyres, merely legal ones), even chipping etc.
Another interesting one with insurance companies is the carriage of goods. If you take some work stuff from one place to another you may not be covered.

I have to have class one insurance which is using my car in the course of my work and travelling from one base to another. Think class two is transporting samples/goods etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

consequences , insurance , law , warranty