Problems or not? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Lee Davis
Problems or not?

Hi all

I really do like my 3 week old 147 (5 door, 1.6 manual) but I have nagging niggles:

(a) I seem to be feeling every bump when driving round town. OK, it's not jolts
as such but I seem to be more conscious of the bumps than when in our 4 year old Punto.
Pot holes seem OK! It's more manhole covers, new bits of tarmac, undulations in the road surface etc.

Is the suspension stiff from new - does it 'relax' any? I don't remember the demo car being quite like this, but then maybe I was so in awe I didn't notice.

(b) I just noticed, when opening the tailgate, 'gaps' towards the base of the rear pillars. It seems as if the plastic rear bumper is supposed to marry up with the base of the metal pillars but doesn't quite.
I can push this plastic and it bends. The gap on the left is over half an inch.
Doesn't seem very good fit to me! Is this
standard? Need I worry? Should I get it refitted?

(c) I still can't get my rear seats to click back into place - will visit dealer for that

(d) The interior rattles have started already and I was hoping for a rattle-free car at last.

Ho hum,

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Regarding rattles, the car is under Warranty so get them fixed by the dealer now.
Congratulations on your 147!

Seems to me that nearly all 147s have interior rattle. Plastic on plastic noises started after 5-6 weeks on mine. I think this is not good enough, and Alfa should have sorted this years ago. Before getting the car I spent hours convincing my friends and family that Alfas interior quality was almost ahead of Audi's. Now, I turn up the music on bumpy roads to avoid them hearing various italian-style rattle. I find it embarasing and very disappointing listening to noises from both front doors, dashboard and tail gate (dont min the gap, its large on all 147s)

Seems to me that dealers find it hard to sort out (anyone?) - or maybe they dont bother. A few of these niggles can be sorted out in an easy manner by yourself (look for previous posts in this forum).

Apart from that, I love my 147. And I know my next car will be an alfa.

[img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cwm1.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Lee Davis

You said:

Now, I turn up the music on bumpy roads to avoid them hearing various italian-style rattle. I find it embarasing and very disappointing listening to noises from both front doors, dashboard and tail gate (dont min the gap, its large on all 147s)

Thanks! I am relieved that the tailgate gap may be standard, I was beginning to worry.

As for rattles etc, I wonder if there is such a thing as a rattle-free car. I always played music in my Punto - not just to mask the noises but because I enjoyed listening to it.

In the Alfa I like to savour the quietness but if this turns out to be another rattle-car then I guess the music had better go back on!

What about feeling the bumps in the road etc? Is that just me needing to get used to the firmer ride?

I suppose we mustn't get too disheartened. Every time I sit in our Punto now I wonder how come I put up with it for so long, compared the 147! I guess the Alfa's have so much going for them anyway that people just put up with the foibles.

Thanks for your help.
I agree with you! We should stop worrying about a occational rattle here and there, which wont spoil the fun of a 147 anyway! Being passionate about your car, often means being emotional towards things you dont really notice in 'normal' cars.

After 6 months in my lovely 147 - I still cant wait to get behind the wheel. When shopping I keep on forgetting things - to have an excuse for having another trip behind the feel-good steering wheel.

Nowadays, I prefer my 147 to flying. And I cant believe how i could really love my previous 93 Golf 1,8...

Totally agree with you Tormod! Mine is finally coming up to speed, just a few minor things left to fix before it's purrfect, and even though I expect such an expensive car (at least in Norway) to work properly from day 1 (which it hasn't) I tend to forget about these little annoyances after the engine has been running for 1 minute or so.. Which is why I've stopped clling my dealer from the car, because I can't manage being angry while driving this beautiful creature!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT