166 - Whats it all about? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Somebody asked for input so here are a few views after 2 months owning a 166:

Looks great - ok I agree the front could be better but even that grows on you, engine sounds wonderful, it's very comfortable, has direct steering despite slightly spongy ride, build quality seems fine.

The ride is definitely a bit too soft..got 16" alloys, maybe 17s improve it? Brakes don't feel direct enough though they're quite effective.

It seems to be the accepted wisdom to go for the 6 speed Super. Ive got the Sporttronic box which is fine for lazy gits like me but it needs a fifth gear. The "Sport" or manual select mode works well when you want to push hard (I dont trust kickdown) but again you notice the lack of an extra gear with an even ratio spread. There's an acceptably short delay on up-change similar to the selespeed (at least thats what I felt when test driving a 156).

Drinks like a fish.. absolute best I got out of town is 27.5 mpg but then you dont get a 3L to save on fuel bills :-)

Rain sensor can be annoying and I would rather use the variable intermittent control but havent found a way of overriding the sensor.. handbook doesnt help at all. Any tips from you 166 owners?

8 speaker sound system quality isnt good enough for a "luxury" car.. go for the 10 speaker DSP. Havent heard it but it MUST be better.

Overall I'd definitely recommend it for those considering.. that is if you dont mind people staring at your car all the time [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
The rain sensor wipers suddenly stopped working one day and the variable intermittent took over - god knows why though! Must admit rain sensor wipers were a pain so I haven't bothered investigating

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT