Squeaky Steering Wheel? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Lee Davis
Squeaky Steering Wheel?

I am finding that the steering wheel on my 147 sometimes makes a small 'squeaking noise' when turned. It usually happens after the car is left out in the sun all day. When it's not hot it doesn't seem to happen.

OK, so not a major problem but irritating on what I thought was a squeak/rattle-free car?

Anyone else had this and solved it?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Yep. Sounds like it's the steering wheel. But actually it's the joints on the anti-roll bar that need to be lubed. The squeek comes right up from them.

At least that was the problem on my 156. Had anti-roll replaced altogether by helpful dealer and the squeeking steering wheel was no more.

Not sure if yours is more specific to wheel though. Worth a try. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I had the same problem on my last GTV. The garage sorted it out for me, took the steering wheel off and basically applied some lube between the back of the steering wheel and the rest of the column.

Lee Davis
Thanks - will take it to the dealer.
I have to take it back anyway to get a somewhat loose driver's wing mirror fixed.
The glass wobbles!

I have the same problem with my 147... the dealer ordered new Steering wheel column trim which took an age to come through. Went in to get it fitted and they left it (new one) on the back seat [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I therefore have no idea if it will solve the sqeak!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

I had a small noise from the steering wheel while turning it. They replaced the lights-side_indicator switch, problem solved.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

squeaky , steering , wheel