156 2.4 JTD - battery light - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 14-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
156 2.4 JTD - battery light

Hi Guys, just thought i'd share my experience for any other JTD owners!

A couple of weeks back, my battery light came on and i got multiple faults (VDC, ABS, oil sensor, EBD) and consequently got stuck in tesco car park as there wasn't enough juice left in the battery to restart. After a jump start i managed to get home.

I noticed whilst idling the light came on and while revving the light went out and then back on again when it was idling again. Whilst the light was out there was a strange noise coming from down the back of the engine, which "coincidentally" stopped when the light came on.

I checked the battery whilst the engine was off, running etc and there was no difference between the voltage going to the battery while it was idling or revving, suggesting something was broken in between the alternator and the battery.

Many suggested it was the battery and others said it was the alternator or aux belt slipping. I charged the battery (was holding charge, but not 100% as the indicator on top was still black)

I then had the alternator removed and tested (bugger of a job apparantly!) It was working fine, had very little wear.

I got the garage to put the alternator back on and thought i may as well have the cam belt, aux belt and all tensioners replaced while the engine was in bits.

So this was done and the problem was fixed. Turns out, the adjustable tensioner for the aux belt was knackered (didn't spring back at all!) So the belt must have been loose and not turning the alternator.

So after a couple of weeks of head scratching and frustration my cars now back on the road!

Bit of a long post, hopefully will help somebody with similar problems!

Does anybody know of a way i can reset the fault codes without taking it to the dealers?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

Saab and a Merc

Re: 156 2.4 JTD - battery light

Any decent garage with a diagnostic machine should be able to reset them. My local indy has a snap-on machine and he never charges me for diagnosing/clearing the numerous fault codes that crop up.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , battery , jtd , light