Launching a Selespeed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Launching a Selespeed

Hi folks - I'm new here, and I'm going to ask a question which has preobably been asked (and answered) a thousand times. My question is - how do you grab a handful of revs, select first gear and "drop the clutch" (so to speak) without damaging the gearbox?? I'm getting tired of being blown away at the traffic lights by Corollas, Lasers etc...
Sponsored Links
Hi Brenton,

What you really need to ask is, "How do I fit one of those Wiz Bang Launch Control systems that I see every second weekend on the McLaren F1 cars, into my 156?" [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

AO Member
The later uprated versions of the Magneti Marelli system do have a launch function.

Ferrari 360 & 575, Aston Martin Vanquish and BMW330 SMG all have this feature. Engage first gear with foot on brake, build up revs to a max of 4000rpm, take foot of the brake and the system dumps the clutch.

Alfa have not fitted this function yet so your left with just hitting the throttle and waiting for the revs to rise. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Okay, If U do this and thrash your gearbox don't blame me afterwards.
But if one wishes to make an Essexboy style takeoff, here's how to. Select neutral. Press the brake pedal. Rev the engine to approx 4000 revs/min, select first with the gearlever, and a splitsecond later let go of the brakepedal. This will toast you front tyres. Release the accelerator slightly to obtain grip, and of U go.

Have fun

This I have to try! Thanks for the tip Hoygaard, been wondering about this myself... There's a boy racer in all of us! Especially in me... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
After a lot of experimenting I've found the best way to get off at the lights is just to floor the accelerator as fast as you can! For me this tends to get the tyres squeeling a little bit, but not so much that they start spinning and losing grip.
Another way which I found out accidently....
If you change from second down to first as you're rolling up to the lights, it tends to take a little longer than other gear changes. Also if you're on the accelerator during this change (as you would be if the lights changed green just as you were doing the change) it will put on revs, before it has engaged first gear. When the gear enagages it releases the clutch quite quickly, and if you're hard on the accelerator you can have 3000+ rpm on when it does it, leading to some serious wheel spin :-)

On another note my car has now done 16000km (with a slight top-end rebuild at 12000km) and is feeling better by the day. It revs much more freely than it ever did, which is not good for the tyres.... hehe.
I've noticed lately when I dont have the radio on I can hear a noise like a bird chirping whenever I go over bumps coming from the rear of the car, sounds like suspensions. And the engine makes a weird rattling/buzzing noise at 3000rpm for the first 10 mins of driving each day.
But I still love it :-P

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

launching , selespeed