And so it goes on and on... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Jay Nine
And so it goes on and on...

Ok, its now boring me.

Having pulled every string I can bar one last one that must be held in reserve, still no car. Its in Portbury on "Technical hold" along with 72 others. Even the men on the ground at Walon who run the distribution centre there and process the cars cannot prize from Alfa what is wrong. They just will not say. Whatever it is, it requires a part and an Alfa technical crew to fix it. Last time Alfa had this happen it was a pipe in the ABS system 18 months ago that Bosch had to send in technical staff to fix on 1800 cars, both 156 and 147.

Sadly this sort of thing is quite normal in the motor industry as a whole, but this one is allegedly spreading like a plague on the 147 models coming from Pomigliano d'Arco.Its even effceting LHD models due for delivery.

This means a BIG parts problem and long delays.

It must be bad because the dealer turned round and without being asked offered up their 147 Selespeed demo on indefinite loan until mine arrives. Which I get tomorrow, so at least I can practice using selespeed on their car and not mine!

More power to the elbow of the dealer though for caring about his customer and making such a gesture. Well done Alfa dealer! Still its not the same as mine and this demo is in red and I hate red......but I musnt be ungrateful.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
I'm more than a little concerned by this recall business. If the problem was a little one, I'd expect ARUK to have come clean by now....

I'm worrried the problem is dangerous and aafety related, hence the silence.

I've mailed the Vehicle Inspectorate and asked them to investigate cancerned they may be safety issues at stake.

I for one don't want to be driving a dangerous car, especially at the speed I drive....especially one with such a lousy NCAP rating....

Sarted me getting worried at the slightest ting...I've always thought the ABS kicked in a little too early......

Has anyone else got anymore info on this problem?

That is indeed a very honerarable gesture from your dealer. Be sure to extend your gratitude to them as it is rare to find UK dealers doing this for their customers.

To be totally honest, from Australia, I have really heard nothing but negative experience from UK Alfa owners towards their dealers.

Be sure to keep us all informed of the latest. Remember tha we also have RHD cars in Australia and may be suffering the same issue.

Thanks and finally welcome to the 147 Club.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Jay Nine
I agree entirely, we should all be concerned about this.

Walon (the distribution company at Portbury near Bristol) are notoriously difficult to deal with from the dealer end - they will only allow fax communication, not telephone, and will not answer any enquiry until the vehicle has been in the UK more than 10 days. In addition, they don't really care much and its hard to find someone who does.

I went through a number of contacts whom I have known for some years and they did everything they could, they found the car (even took a photo of it for me), but cannot find out what is wrong because they are not being asked to handle the repair. Alfa will not tell the dealer what the problem is but my experienced contact at Walon is convinced its a serious problem or they would not be so secretive. This normally means major engine, software or brakes.

I was sat in the dealership yesterday waiting to pick up their demo slesepeed - I have to say excellent if just slightly recalcitrant customer service, but embarassment on their part (and the fact I let them have the trade in early (as much for my benfit as theirs), was mostly the motivation. I digress again.... anyway, I was sat there waiting and a number of customers came in for a recall on 156 Selespeed - reprogramming no less. To the dealers credit, they had travelled 50 miles as their own - somewhere near Sutton Coldfield - had repeatedly let them down. He was so pleased he was going to replace his 156 with 2 147's for him and his wife.

Did you know Alfa actually put recall history pages in their service manuals? I dont know any other manufacturer who actually puts a history page in to a service record book - talk about expect the worst.
Here In Belgium my car had been ordered back to the garage. Apparantly there is something wrong withe the gearbox of some 147's. Here in Belgium this problem is known under Campaign 4432. I'v went back with my car last week but there was nothing wrong with mine.
AO Member
Anyone got details of the 156 recall, not heard anything myself? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT