Keeping cool this summer! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Keeping cool this summer!

Noticed the coolant level was below min on my 156 V6 at the weekend and also the fan seems to come on an awful lot. Naturally I was worried as I just bought the car. Topped it up with water (I know this upsets the winter balance but all the stories about Alfa V6's blowing up!). On return to home the level was now over max. My old man told me it expands or summat??

Anybody know anything about fans, coolant, that temp guage, how aircon affects things etc?

Keep cool,

P.S Pushed the car really hard on winding roads at the weekend. Absolute rubbish about it not handling as well as the 2L. It actually sits on the road better due to the little extra weight and that sound......
Sponsored Links
Founder of AO
County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Hi there, your Parents were right, the water will expand when it hot due to the pressure. My fans comes on some times even from cold???

This usually happens if I have switched the engine off whilst the fans were running. I dont think it is anything to worry about. I am going to try and get more cool air into my car, if it works I will post what I have done on this forum.

AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Everything expands more or less when it gets hot. When the engine is hot and you take of the headertank fillercap and relieve the pressure. The waterlevel will increase a little further.

The fan comes on quite often when the aircon is engaged. When its engaged by the aircon system, it will run at a lower speed than when the engine is hot.

AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

The fans come on because of the A/C. The idea is that it keeps the A/C cooler from engine startup. When cold they normally run for a minute or so then switch off - unless the A/C is still required to be on. I live in a very hot climate so my A/C is on most of the year.
I have a Selespeed and I wish I had gone for the V6. The engine sound and feel are reason enough to buy it. The Selespeed system is great but appear to be a bit temperamental - mine has worked fine over the last 2 years so I can't complain.
I don't know how you can get more cool air into the car. I tried insulating the exhaust with exhaust wrap which looks like it works a bit.

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
Cheers for the advice chaps. Added a little tap water and now seems to be fine. Have to remember the winter mix!

Thanks also for aircon advice. Was a bit of a mystery to me.

Aircon on the 156 seems very loud. I drove a BMW 318 or 320 (no badge on the back!)at the weekend and the aircon was very quiet. As was the whole car. Ha! ha!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cool , keeping , summer