Removing panels/central vent? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-05-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
Removing panels/central vent?

Anyone know if it's difficult to remove central vent on dash? It's creaking away quite happily these days. But it's not the bolt I've heard about inside. It's the plastic unit itself - or sounds that way. Reckon some silicon might sort it.

Does anyone know if I just take out the two visible screws towards the back of it?

Also the two rear doors rattle like a baby's - well - rattle. Though it sounds like an oiling of the lock mechanisms all that's needed. So, is taking the panels off to big a job? How do I do it?

Wouldn't let an Alfa garage take any interior panels off - unless I want 10 times the rattles when I get it back. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

The Speeding Ticket Hall of Fame.
Sponsored Links

BE CAREFUL. Take out the allen bolts and then lever it up from the back. It's pretty tight and it might snap the brittle vent. The maechanic put shed loads of grease on the surfaces to fix mine. Rattle came back next day. Silicon might work though.

Good luck,

AO Member
Re: Removing panels/central vent?

Have just removed successfully - undo the 2 allen bolts and get a credit card (not a valid one) and slide it down the side then towards the back and push down on it. It will prise the grill up (there are 4 or 5 tension clips which keep it in place). My foam had worn away at the back, so I cut up some window draught excluder and put it in 1" sections on all 4 sides, pop the vent back in and voila - no rattles at all! It might be worth checking the unit itself doesn't rattle (mine didn't) and watch for the LED power lead - that you don't disconnect it and that you don't squash it putting the vent back.

I realise this is long dead but the issue comes up a lot..

'52 2.4 JTD
AO Silver Member
Re: Removing panels/central vent?

undo the allen bolts and use a long allen key slid down inside the vent, turn 90 degrees to hook it, and yank up.

The unit itself is held togteher by lots of little screws, and these are loose, the unit flex's and creaks (you were on about a creak, not a rattle - that was the back doors right?). SO

Either undo them and glue the unit (a soft glue, not a hard one like superglue) and rescrew or just tighten the screws, being VERY careful not to over tighten and strip the threads. Worked on mine. Silicon wont help. If you take it apart, some grease on the joins might be better than glueing

the rear door, take off the handles, speaker (first lever/clip on speaker grill to do is one behind small pip on the grill) then starting at the bottom carefully prise the door trim away, looking/feeling behind to level next to the clips. You will brake a few, so get some spares from dealer first.

The water seal does come off and restick, but is VERY delicate so go carefull - or buy a spare.

Hold the rear end slide....don't run wide!

156 2.0TS Veloce Lthr (02/02), silver, black Momo, BMC filter,V6 intake, DS2500 Front-DS Perf Rear pads, Conti sportcontacts, OMP strut Brace .

Built in Italy, on the last Friday before (hic) Xmas........:-/

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

panels or central , removing , vent