Running in New 147? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Lee Davis
Running in New 147?

Hi Guys

What are the recommendations for running
in a new 1.6 manual 147? Of course I will ask my dealer but just wondering on your experiences etc. When I had my Punto from new
there was nothing special to have to do.
Any different with the 147?

Sponsored Links
Hi Lee
I asked this self same question about the 2litre engine a short while back. Check for previous topics and replies to get the info. You will find there was no definitive answer but some interesting points and discussion.
Ken [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Lee Davis
OK, thanks. I found your other thread
and indeed it is interesting. Not sure I'm
up to changing oil as regularly as some of you are doing but looks like it's really a case of treating the car with some respect, until you get to know each other!

This is OT as it's Punto-related but I sometimes take Punto out of garage, switch off enginge, rummage in garage for something and then stick Punto back again.
If I do this, the following morning I have great trouble starting her, usually having to start pumping the accelerator (not good). I avoid this now and always take her for a short run (even if only 10 mins) but wondered if anyone knows why this happens?
Some sort of condensation issue? Should I avoid this type of thing with the Alfa?

AO Silver Member
Hi Lee, i've had my 1.6 now since last september.... and i dont have any problems with the oil! I havn't changed it once yet and its done over 8K miles... I'm not sure but i get the impression that the 2 litre model is the one which likes a bit of oil with its petrol???

I'm not sure if any 1.6's have had a problem with oil but i dont think so!!

With regard to running it in... it's really a matter of common sense i think... they say the engine is already run-in but you should take it easy for the first few thousand miles... after that... you'll gradually feel it loosen up!!!

Good luck! and if you get some pics post me them!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I have the 2litre engine and have only covered 1200 miles but after checking the oil every weekend and also buying 5 litres of the Selena ready to top up, I have not had to put any more oil in yet. So it seems a case of some engines use more oil than others, or perhaps it is the driving style. I am very gentle with my 147 and never put my foot to the floor NOT!!!!
Ken [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , running