[SOLVED] Selespeed Pump Tantrums
Hello all, it's always nice to see people helping each other.
I recently purchased a 1999 Alfa 156 with 21,000km on the odometer. The reason for the low k's is it has been out of service most of its life. I took it to an Alfa mechanic and they diagnosed it to be the pump, as I was told it was by the previous owner.
The symptoms when I first bought it was it ran perfectly fine. I drove it for 10min then stopped the car and jumped back in moments later and it had the selespeed tank light flashing and I couldn't get it into any gear. I guess that's a fail safe feature. Where I stopped happened to be an Alfa mechanic I had stopped in to visit in regards to the matter so i left it with him.
The mechanic quoted NZ$1000 for a new pump so I decided to check it over myself. As you can expect from a 21,000km vehicle the pump looked near new both internally and externally. The only problem I found was a slight leak from the mechanical pumps input shaft oil seal that's driven by the electric motor. I ordered and fitted a new seal and reassembled the pump.
I then gave the pump back to the mechanic to fit and all seemed well, at first... Driving home from the mechanics I stopped off at a couple of times and it worked. I had noticed during these few times of stopping and starting I heard the pump run each time I opened the door. I assume it's sort of priming itself with pressure.
The following day(today) I couldn't get it to work initially. I only let it idle for a couple of minutes to warm the engine. Jumped in and I couldn't change gear & the selespeed tank light was flashing, turning the engine off and I get a few beeps. So I checked the selespeed tank and found that it was way too high, and noticed it had in fact been overflowing at some stage.
I siphoned some out, back down to the max mark and let it sit for an hour. Trying again with the same results of no priming sound and the fashing light I decided to pull the thing out myself (very easy and painful if you assume selespeed oil is oil when it's brake fluid). I checked the new seal & it's great, hooked it up to a 12 volt power supply and had it set up to pump the fluid I had siphoned earlier. It worked continuously and I couldn't hold back the pressure with my thumb. I decided it was fine and fitted it back in place.
Opening the door I heard the pump prime the pressure which is a sure sign it's going to work, and it did. I decided to take it for a 45km spurt. 5min into the drive the selespeed tank light came on and I was stuck in 4th. I continued on another 5min & it went off & continued to work perfect until I arrived at my destination 20min later. Stopped the car jumped out then jumped back in 3min later noticing the pump didn't prime itself when I opened the door and sure enough it was flashing and failing to change gear and the fluid was way over max, just below the rubber.
I left it for 3 hours checking every hour to see if it would prime itself. The third hour it did and of course it was working...
Thanks for reading I would "love" your help! I have been reading from the "many" selespeed problems but couldn't find something similar.
Last edited by boarddworld; 11-08-08 at 05:49.