Shell Optimax / Octane boosters - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 26-04-02 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Shell Optimax / Octane boosters

when using higher octane petrol or octane boosters does the 2.0TS engine (156 2.0TS 155BHP)automatically adjust the timing to take advantage of the higher octane or do you need to change something manually.

If the engine can adjust itself, what octane can it adjust upto?

I asked my local Alfa dealer and he said that a higher octane may cause the engine to pink !!! - Last time I ask him anything technical.
Sponsored Links
dealer talking arse,what a shock! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

After 2/3 tankfuls the ECU will adjust and the car is set to run on European petrol anyway,about 98ron.I use Optimax and Millers and its 98.3.The car is much better on it (ie "shyte" and "shovel") [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
AO Member
What the f#$k is pink???? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Is that a technical term? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
AO Member

Member car:

155 Q4

Pinking > Detonation seriously not good for your engine, but definately not caused by higher octane fuel. The higher the octane fuel, the more ignition advance you can use and the more power you can get out of your engine. Upto a certain point of course.
afaik,pinking is pre-det,so higher octane fuel helps get rid of it,not cause it!
So, is it the general opinion of the Alfisti that Optimax is the best petrol to give your engine more power??
Also, I would like to know which octane boosters people use and should they still be added as well as using the Shell Optimax petrol?
Ken [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
AO Member
County: -Montevideo

AO Silver Member
I use Nitrous Forula Octane Booster ( )

It's very potent stuff , i usually use 1/3 of a bottle (it'll add 2 ron) if you use the full bottle (for track days definately) it'll add 6 ron... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] OMFG it's great fun!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I use Millers Octane plus which will give 99.3 Ron with Opimax.This has been tested by Millers themselves,many others claim ridiculous Rons etc,but Ron is only one measure,Mon,the yank jobby,is another measure and is regarded as the more accurate indicator.Optimax and Millers gives a good Mon,i do'nt know about the others.

Also,Millers give a 15% discount to Alfaowner members.Phone Robin on 01606837558.He is a Millers rep and will get your delivery to you in 2 days.Best to get 2 cases to reduce delivery cost.You can also get bloody good oil,Milers Motorsport CFS 10w40,from him.
Jay Nine
So is the conclusion that Optimax is worth the extra money? On my monthly mileage it would add about 25 to my fuel bill, so is it really worth it. I do get on good driving roads every day, would you choose it for a brand new 147 selespeed?
I certainly would! plays havoc with mpg around town,but performance and response noticeably improved with Millers/optimax imo.Its all subjective,but afaic the 147 loves the stuff.
Founder of AO
County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Well I have myself a bottle of Nitrous formula, I am going to give it a go in the V6 this week.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

boosters , octane , optimax , shell